1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I hope my plants will be okay

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Vince, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I didn't really know where to post but my allotment plot being closest to the incident seemed an option.

Some of you may have seen on the News that an Islamic centre in Muswell Hill was allegedly torched in the early hours of this morning, very close to home for me (1/4 mile or so), arson or not, it's quite distressing, fortunately no-one was hurt although I was rudely awakened by sirens and a police helicopter at about 3am!

I saw aerial shots of the scene on the news and my allotment plot which is/was only 20 yards from the centre seems intact, I'm just worried that the trays of plants I had up there waiting for the weekend planting will survive, the police won't allow me access to my plot and although I watered them last night, we've had another warm sunny day today and I'm a little anxious.

Hopefully month's of nurturing won't go to waste.

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Aww, Vince :grphg: Distressing indeed! Thank goodness no one was hurt.

I'm no expert, but, I think your plants should be ok. Hopefully, they will open up the cordon's so you can get access tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,573
        Fingers crossed for your plants Vince, and hopefully the police will let you into your plot tomorrow.

Hell of a business that too - what one earth was going through the minds of the idiots that set light to that centre. I sincerely hope that the police find all involved and throw the book at them.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I think the plants will be ok. I've been known to forget to water young plants for days on end and they've survived.

As for that arson attack, I heard about that on the news. Its disgraceful. I'm ashamed to be the same species as the people that did it. We're going to end up with a civil war on our hands if we keep getting random acts of mindless race related violence. As if its not bad enough that there's a small minority trying to start it, its worse that so many mugs are falling for it all. A war memorial defaced and Islam painted on it, then a mosque destroyed and EDL implicated. It seems pretty obvious to me that somebody is stirring. People used to get along. Its time for some heads to be knocked together I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,499
          Fortunately the police allowed me access to the allotment this evening, just as well, some of the plants were looking a little distressed.

I had to go the long way though, I had my dog Shadow with me and although angelic, she looks formidable (even the police get out of her way).

Peace campaigners are up at the vicinity in quite a large number, the police sergeant (who loved Shadow) asked me very politely if I could avoid the campaigners, he was worried Shadow might freak them out!

I agreed but offered Shadows' services for crowd dispersal in the future (at a very reasonable price!)

Oh, and access to the allotments at the weekend will not be a problem so I should be able to get my planting done. :dancy:

• Like Like x 3
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Delighted you were able to give your plants your usual TLC, Vince :dbgrtmb:

I get the same thing with Ozzy, soft as soap, but there are people who will cross the road to avoid him. It's handy too, sometimes, isn't it!? :heehee:

Good luck with your weekend planting :ccheers:

• Like Like x 1