1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I need help to grow some culinary herbs in water crystals

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by tjrundy, Sep 18, 2009.

1. tjrundy

tjrundy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a contemporary flat, and I'd like to try growing some culinary herbs in water crystals (http://www.watercrystals.com/soillessplants.htm) or an equivalent without soil.

Do anyone have any experience of this?

Is it possible to grow plants from seed this way? If I have a clear vase, will the seeds become confused by 'clear' soil?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    It sounds a bit questionable to me to be honest. I had a read of the website and there are a few questions that they don't answer:

* How do you get the plant into the solution without damaging the roots?
    * What about the fact that most plants need their roots to be in darkness?
    * What exactly are these water crystals made of and will that affect the health of the plant?
    * What about plants that don't like to have their roots wet for any length of time?
    * Many plants forge a simbiotic relationship with naturally occurring funghi and bacteria in soil, how would this work in this solution? (ok, I know the same issue applies to hydroponics, which is kind of what this is, but as far as I know hydroponically grown stuff needs lots of carefully measured nutrients, warmth, light etc).

I'm not going to rubbish the idea because it is completely new to me, but I think I'd want to know these things before I tried it.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Suitable houseplants for growing in water

As you can imagine, not every houseplant will grow solely in water. The plants that I have been most successful with are:

Spider Plants (Chlorophytum)
    Peace Lilies (Spathyphillum)
    Goosefoot Plants (Syngonium)
    Can plants that have been grown in soil adapt to living in water?

It is possible to convert soil-grown houseplants to a water-only environment, and I have done this with several of my own. But you have to be prepared for the transition to be too traumatic on occasion, and your plant may die off in a most spectacular fashion. It is probably better to start with suitable, young, inexpensive plants. They arenĂ¢??t so established, and will develop an optimum root system for growing in water. If a plant is expensive, or of sentimental value, leave it in the environment that it is used to - it is not worth taking the risk
    You need to make sure that you wash off all compost from the roots of plants you intend to grow in water. Otherwise, the roots will rot, the water become foul, and the plant will die..Plants grown in water-filled glass containers can look quite spectacular. Their root systems are able to be observed, and they are often as pretty and dramatic as the houseplants themselves. Striking or unusual clear receptacles will add to the overall effect, and have their place in light and airy interior design. Water-filled containers also help the atmosphere in your home from drying out. You are able to go off on vacation, without rigging up some kind of capillary watering system or relying on neighbours to water your plants. Growing of houseplants in water is a matter of trial and error.
    Young plants are often available very cheaply, and it is well worth experimenting to see exactly what you are able to grow. You need to use common-sense and try to figure out which plants are liable to adapt. But it can be a lot of fun, especially for those of us who have despaired of ever growing house plants!:dh:

My friend used the gel crystals & also used veg food colouring in some to make them funky...!!!
    :dh: I even saw some people at a flower show in the US with a couple of little goldfish swimming around the roots..!!!!:D

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have tried it, with dismal results. I remember there used to be a tub you could buy-like a yogurt pot that baby bio used to make, and my mum grew some stuff in it but mostly it was rubbish.

I tried it with cuttings.

The plugs you buy are grown in gel but they are in a tiny pot which is black and completly bloacks out shade, roots need to be in shade.