1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I still have my L plates on when it comes to succulents

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Grandma Sue, May 16, 2022.

1. Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +326
    Hello everyone
    For the last 5 yrs.(I am now 75) I have been tending a Opuntia Microdasys cacti and a Echeveria Miranda succulent bought as a present 5 yrs. ago. As they still look OK-ish I ventured into buying 2 Echeveria… Peacockii (blue) and Cinnabar (green-pink tips) - these will be kept on a south facing window cill and occasionally put out on the patio if the sun isn’t too strong. The 8 of the 10 Sempervivum Houseleeks I have bought are already in the outside rockery except for 2 which I have put into the same plant pot as my Miranda for the time being.
    I wouldn’t say I’m green fingered- just lucky as I tend to do a little research first before trying anything new. I am now wanting to find colourful succulent to fill my outside pots where I can leave them from spring through to the end of summer followed by a stay indoors when the weather gets colder October- March.

I will have to order online as any garden centres near me have very little to pick from. If anyone could mention the names of such succulents I would be grateful.

Here are my 5yr old plants bought by my grandson
    20220503_175310.jpg 20220503_175307.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,020
      I have a few colourful succulents and here are their names for you ...
      Echeveria Perle Von Nurnberg has purple leaves but there are also others to be had.
      Sedum spathulifolium and Sedum rubrotinctum have purple/red leaves.
      There are variegated Aeoniums, one in my collection is called 'Kiwi' but there are others you could look up.
      Kalanchoe pumila is a small one with silvery-grey leaves and pretty mauve flowers ...
      Aeonium Schwarzkopf has beautiful dark leaves but it grows rather tall ...
      I also have a variegated form of Crassula ovata (Jade plant) I think it's called 'sunset' and it has pink green and yellow tones on the leaves when grown in a light position ...

Now there's a start :smile:

• Like Like x 2
      • Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +326
        Thank you Michael,
        AND WOW! I love the sedum (jelly beans), you have certainly given me lots to research, there is every chance that I might get carried away unless I am not very careful.

I found a YouTube video showing lots of various succulent’s “I would type the link but not sure if I will be breaking a rule or not - but the sedum that caught my eye was called...the australia ci julia
        I have tried to check it out but haven’t had any success- so I’ve attached a photo to see if you know of it under a different name
        upload_2022-5-17_5-38-15.png upload_2022-5-17_5-38-15.png

• Like Like x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Retired
          Ratings:
          +18,020
          I've got this but not sure of it's name. I think it's a type of Pachyphytum.
          I got carried away by succulents and cacti many years ago so you won't be alone !
          I could send you a few different cuttings if you like, although they may take a while to grow to a decent size.

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
            Last edited: May 17, 2022
          • Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +326
            Thats very kind of you Michael, I will definitely take you up on this wonderful offer via P M (If I can find how to do it)

• Grandma Sue

Grandma Sue Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +326
            Sending a couple of photo's to show you with your cutting safe in their pots :smile:
            20220525_165838.jpg 20220525_165826.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • Michael Hewett

Retired
              Ratings:
              +18,020
              I'm pleased to see they arrived safely. You could water the dry ones, give them a good soaking, but leave any wet ones to dry out before watering.
              I wouldn't water the cuttings yet, let them develop roots first.
              I'm glad you are pleased with them.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2