1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I was wrong both my Iris Sibirica do flower!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jun 6, 2013.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Well for some years I have been convinced 1 of my clumps of Iris doesn't flower,(have a clump of dark blue and another lighter, the lighter 1 I moaned about not flowering). Both clumps are at the back of an herbaceous border and during the growing season I don't often venture close to the clumps. However today I did and helped by me having my specs on I discovered why no flowers on the paler blue Iris and no too many on the darker 1...SLUGS. I found over 30 flower stems munched through, so the poor thing has been wrongly accused...I almost feel guilty! I had no idea that Iris flower stems are a favourite for slugs but do now. Why oh why can't they eat the multitudinous leaves and spare me the odd flower? Battle is now commencing and the booze cupboard has been raided for some cans of beer. I don't like beer so I'm alright jack!,bad luck rest of the household. Hopefully my traps will work as I rarely resort to the blue pellets. What's odd is that I have a large collection of Hostas and they are rarely touched by our grey /fawn/black slimey "friends".I now know that my "friends" prefer Iris...grrrrrr.:gaah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      That's a shame Silu, I didn't think slugs touched Irises, they haven't been anywhere near mine.