1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I wonder if my parents worried as much for me as I do for my kids

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by clueless1, Jul 1, 2016.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Nobody can deny that we live in 'interesting times'. We have IS waging war on everybody. Europe on the verge of collapse. Cold war 2. And of course our own local 'uncertainty'. I forgive myself for worrying about what sort of future my two lads will have.

But I'm currently watching a documentary about 1980s England. Ie, what my home country was like when I was as little as my lads are now. There was the fear of war with the Soviet union. There was economic chaos. Major class divide. Extreme racism. Violent clashes, actual battles in the streets.

I wonder if my kids will become dads. And if they do, I wonder if they'll worry about the world they've brought their kids into. And I wonder if they'll look back with a strange fondness at how their childhood was a difficult time for the country, but somehow they were alright.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,488
    I'm pretty sure you have explained it just right. :blue thumb:

It's part of a parent's job description to worry about their offspring and the state of the world. :dunno:

Some parents fulfil that part more than others. :heehee:

We grew up through WWII, rationing, recession, hyperinflation (inflation running above 24% and mortgage rates jumping over 3% in one go :rolleyespink:) etc.

My parents grew up through the War to End All Wars, the Depression, recession (again) and the rise of Fascism. (I'm sure I could think of a lot of other nasties as well if I put my mind to it :doh:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Yes, of course and absolutely!
      The times may change, the opportunities and threats may differ, but any caring parent will be concerned for their child, their child's future and, if lucky enough, their grandchild's future. Of course, the child won't understand the parents worries/concerns and will roll their eyes until ... the cycle begins again and they become parents.
      Nostalgia ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,488
        We've got some of those growing in our garden :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,937
          I just made sure i bought my lot up knowing what's right and wrong and to respect others and try to make sure they're doing things right not wrong

• Like Like x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,870
            Good morning we never had time to think let alone worry:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1