1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Id and prunning advice please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Lee Mason, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Lee Mason

Lee Mason Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, new member here and not much of a gardener (so far).

But have a new house and hoping to keep the garden as nice as it is now so need some advice.

I have a hedge type plant growing behind some small ferns (i think).

I need to relocate them and as you can see by the picture i kind of spreads inbetween below, up and over anything surrounding it.

IMG_9051.JPG

It has quite a nice fragrance which may mean its some sort of herb.

I could do with a few things

1. whens the best time to relocate it?

2. what is it?

3. prunning? about 1/3 of the plant is actually green. the other 2/3s looks like dead growth beneath the green parts (in total i spreads over about 2-3 foot). how should i prune it? and can i cut it right back to the roots for relocation (to say 1 foot with no green parts left) and let it restart its growth from there?

thanks.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    The grey leafed thing is probably Helichrysum italicum, aka The Curry plant. Needs a hot dry spot. Normally pruned in Spring. Can be cut back to new buds at the base of shoots and will normally regrow from them.