1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved ID plant please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Slokie, May 18, 2019.

1. Slokie

Slokie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    995BD450-1DE2-47F1-8F78-DD4D9FA49987.jpeg 90AE1E43-DA60-4F61-B8BE-E2B3EFF60F02.jpeg Hi all,

I’ve recently moved into a house and was confronted by these in the garden borders. I’m not sure what these are. So far they are around 6-8 inches high and give a light sting when uprooted.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,329
    Hi Slokie, you've got some impressive 'plants in the wrong place' there :biggrin: I can tell you the French common name for them, chardon, and I think the Latin name is Sonchus, but that's not what I call them when I pull one out without wearing gloves! It's not so much a sting as a prickle! It might be a good idea to dig over that bit of garden and get rid of them before they set seed...

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    • Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,269
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      When I checked my initial thoughts of ID online here Common Fiddleneck that site gave their height as 50 cm (19.7 inches), nearly a foot higher that the max 8" quoted above, which seemed far too much additional height for unfurling of the bloom. I would have investigated further, but I have loads of stuff to plant out and this overcast, damp weather is ideal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Slokie

Slokie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks all for your input. These are only starting grow...and fast! They’ve not curled over to form the “Fiddleneck” shape yet and I’m not letting them either.
        I’ve begun to fork them out, roots and all as general weed killer is ineffective. Anyone know which type of weed killer would blitz these?

• Like Like x 1
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,233
          I’d continue with forking them out, as that’s the best way to get rid of them for good. Why do you want to use weedkiller?