1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for back area of the garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jumanji, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jumanji

jumanji Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have recently cleared the back of my garden and had a new fence put up. The fence is North West facing and the soil is very clay like and tends to get pretty dry. Obviously this is what you see when you look immediately out of the back window and I wanted to get something to grow along/up the fence and also plant some more brighter things in front of that.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could plant? The fence is about 18ft wide and 6ft tall, so quite a wide area. I have planted clematis before but I don't like the way that dies off ... so I guess I wanted something a bit more permanent but also something colourful?

Thanks for your help.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    It would be a good idea to improve the soil before you plant anything - if it's clay then dig in some organic matter such as compost.

In terms of planting - for climbers (which will need some support in the form of trellis or the like attached to the fence), try Clematis Armandii or Lonicera Henryi (honeysuckle) which are both evergreen.

For planting in front try something like Rhododendrons or Camellias (they like acid soil so mix in lots of ericaceous compost around the root balls and feed with an appropriate feed during spring/summer). Rhodos especially are quite slow growing so you will be able to see the top half of the fence where the climbers are.

There are other evergreen shrubs which don't get too high such as sweet box.

Have a look at the plant finder on the www.crocus.co.uk site for some useful suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
    • jumanji

jumanji Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks a lot for your advice ... are there any non clematis plants you would recommend? Although I do like the sound of evergreen clematis, I was also thinking about planting a tree but I think it might look a bit odd on its' own!

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      I just dug a patch of ground that started off as solid clay this time last year, until I put loads of spent mushroom compost in, and then grew spuds in it (and got the best crop in terms of quality and yield per plant ever). I've just dug it again for the first time this year and its lovely. Proper dark crumbly stuff and full of earth worms. Of course manure or compost will do the trick too, but the old mushroom compost is nice and cheap.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You're right of course, Clueless, but Mushroom compost has the effect of turning soil alkaline if used in quantities, which is no bad thing depending on what you want to grow.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        I have some golden ivy on a north-west facing wall which is slow growing but gives background colour all year, I also have some evergreen honeysuckle and a clematis. In front of the ivy I have a camelia which has creamy coloured flowers.

• Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Do you mean climbers which aren't clematis, or other stuff which you can plant in front of the fence? A small tree or large shrub which can be grown in a tree shape would look lovely (one each side with smaller plants in between). There are some lovely evergreen shrubs which would look good all year round if you want some recommendations :)

• jumanji

jumanji Gardener

Ratings:
          +4
        • merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          All of the following will tolerate shade (but require different soil pH levels so you would need to check that first):

Camellias and Rhododendrons (spring flowering). You would need to mix in some ericaceous compost and keep well watered until established.

If you want to plant a companion tree (ie which likes the same soil), then go for one of the acers.

Alternatively, something like Sarcococca Confusa (sweet box) has a gorgeous fragrance when it flowers in Feb/March and is pretty tough.

Have a look here for some other choices.

• Informative Informative x 1