1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for sloping front garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SiW, Mar 2, 2020.

1. SiW

SiW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys

Im looking for some ideas for my sloping from Garden.
    I would like to get rid of the grass and install something hassle free at the front as it is such a small area. The only problem is it is quite a slope so I am worried things like slate chippings would just fall down.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I’ve a few ideas (every garden I’ve had has been on a slope!) but first of all, which way does it face? What time of day was the photo taken?

My immediate thought...
    So long as it gets at least 6 hours of summer sunlight, I would be tempted to take up the grass, and possibly the hedge to the right of the photo. Then I’d plant herbs in there. The slope means they will be able to enjoy good drainage. You could set basic paving slabs into the slope (cut into the slope so the slab is horizontal) to provide a meandering path through the herbs. Rosemary and lavender where the hedge is currently, to provide privacy and scent. Maybe a sage - could even be one of the variegated ones - in the bottom right corner. Thymes near the slabs, tarragon, marjoram, oregano, chives, garlic chives, some perennial wild rocket. Parsley near the top, so easy to reach all year round... maybe mint in a container (to prevent it running amock)?
    It would be pretty much self-maintaining, needing maybe 2 hours work a month, and would provide you with flavours for the kitchen, year round interest (with the sage, rosemary, lavender and thymes) and a long period of flowers for insects and other wildlife....

....but I’m sure that lots of other ideas will be quickly provided by others!

• Like Like x 2
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @SiW , I think @Sian in Belgium has given perfect advice , in fact I was about to suggest herbs.. The only difference with my plan would be to match the colour of your existing slabs to some bricks or cobbles and lay them irregularly to create the pathway to the bottom left as I presume that is an electric cupboard/meter.

• Like Like x 2
      • SiW

SiW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you to both @Sian in Belgium and @KFF for both of your ideas.
        I really like the idea of utilising the wasted space by having a low maintenance herb garden.
        A path leading to the meter would be a good idea, I want to try and make it as cost effective as possible. What do you think the best way to achieve this would be? If I took Sian's idea and used paving slabs set into the slope what would I do at the sides/in between the steps? Sorry for my ignorance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hiya, in between the steps and if you put the paving slabs as stepping stones you could plant either Chamomile or low growing Thymes. These are tough little plants which would spread out to fill any gaps. The best thing about them is it wouldn't matter if you trod on them as they would release their scent and soon bounce back, the Chamomile is so resistant that it's even used as a substitute for grass in lawns.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,198
          Hi,

As the other have said, you would save yourself a lot of messing around by getting rid of the grass.

Instead of palnting between the flags you could grow herbs / flowers/bulbs in pots, easier to move around etc.

On a more practical note, do the retaining walls have any drain holes / weep vents in it ?
          Looks as it it could easily retain and flood the meter box if there was a deluge ?