1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas on what would grow well in this corner ?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by DMM, Feb 29, 2020.

1. DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
    +259
    I'm re-locating the fuchsias from the this corner of my 'yarden' and would like to replace them with something colourful but upright and tallish growing rather than something that spreads/bushes out. Preference is for a hardy perennial. It's a south facing space but the fence to the rear of the fuchsias is north facing
    There is compost and decent soil in there now and the fuchsias do really well in the corner but further down it's thick clay. Also, as the rear fence faces north there isn't an awful lot of sun on that corner throughout the day and the soil never completely dries out. I was thinking Astilbe at one point but wondered whether anyone has any ideas please of of any other perennials that might fit the bill instead?

20200228_185416.jpg

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,664
    A sleek obelisk with two modest climbers surrounded by hardy Geraniums might look good in that spot. Lonicera Henryi is my favourite, it's evergreen and tolerates shade and sun equally well. A Clematis could do well, and give a second period of flowering once Henryi is done, or compliment Old Henry. Hardy Geraniums are great, you can get evergreen or semi- evergreen ones, and several flower all summer.

Your Yarden looks very neat, it would be nice to see more photos :)

• Like Like x 2
    • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      A small wildlife pond surrounded by tall grasses with something colourful and pollinator friendly run through them. A mirror might possibly help with bringing reflected light in.

• Like Like x 2
      • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
        +259
        Thanks Selleri ... lovely ideas. Especially like the obelisk suggestion but think that as it's a small space and with everything else I have in there it could possibly be too much. There is actually a clematis right at the back corner but it didn't do much last summer. The fuchsias may have drowned it out. So I've gone off the idea of climbers there which is why I was wondering about tall & upright, freestanding, colourful perennials. I've been researching all day actually - that www can drag me into it's vortex for hours n hours! ... especially when it's too wet to venture outside. Think I may have found a couple of contenders [for the taller ones anyway] and may pop a hardy geranium in too - as you've suggested - at the front next to the existing campanula [which I forgot to mention]. It will be all that's left after the fuchsias are transplanted elsewhere.

Thanks for saying yarden looks neat ... A little apprehensive posting pics in such a place full of gardening knowledge [!] but as you've mentioned it here are a few little views of how it's been at different times over the last couple of years. Currently it's with the pots next to olive tree but that could all change this year :scratch::heehee:

IMG-20180723-WA0012.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1452.jpeg 20190623_113042.jpg 20190707_105242.jpg 20190630_213743.jpg

Just for fun here are a couple of pics also of what it was like when I bought the house in 2016 ...

pJhTYHgHTD+Od5hCni8WxA_thumb_1ded.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1dee.jpg

It's been a lot of hard work [especially ripping up the claggy lawn!] but I've enjoyed it mostly and am pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.

D

• Like Like x 1
        • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
          +259
          Thanks LM for the suggestions. I would never have thought of a wildlife pond and have just been looking today at the feasibility of such a small one. As it's such a small space though not sure I'd fit it all in with the grasses etc too. I think I've decided on something colourful and pollinator friendly though - just deciding now between all the choices. Still narrowing them down !

D

• luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          How about a water feature then with lots of colour around it :). Trickle of water is very relaxing.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
            +259
            Aha .... you've just made me re-think! I've already got a small water feature that I made last year with a solar pump and the 'solar bit' would reach into the sun from that corner and I could relocate it!. Now that's a good idea !! :smile:
            Cheers
            [Well I say cheers but I'd almost made my mind up and am now in a fix again lol ... :psnp:]

• Funny Funny x 1
            • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              :) there are always lots of ideas and inspirations to be found on GC. Lots of imaginative and createful people :). It can be difficult to choose sometimes :dunno::whistle::loll:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
                +259
                [QUOTE=".......................

Thanks for saying yarden looks neat ... A little apprehensive posting pics in such a place full of gardening knowledge [!] but as you've mentioned it here are a few little views of how it's been at different times over the last couple of years. Currently it's with the pots next to olive tree but that could all change this year :scratch::heehee:

View attachment 134749View attachment 134756View attachment 134757View attachment 134758View attachment 134759

Just for fun here are a couple of pics also of what it was like when I bought the house in 2016 ...

View attachment 134760View attachment 134761

It's been a lot of hard work [especially ripping up the claggy lawn!] but I've enjoyed it mostly and am pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.

D[/QUOTE]

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::sad: is it THAT bad then ????