Ideas please

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by SunWorshiper, Nov 24, 2020.

1. SunWorshiper

SunWorshiper Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi all
    Been a while since I posted, can I have some help please on ideas as to what to do with this patch of our garden, just been cleared and trees cut back, it is beside the neighbour's conifers or are they laylandi?? I have bought some bluebell bulbs and plan on planting them around the side of the green house or near the garden gate. No idea what else to do with it , gets sun about 10am until 3pm ish
    many thanks

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Looking at those pics, it shouts fruit and veg patch to me .

Strawberries and other soft fruits are so easy and taste so good.
    Still got some of this summers excess blackberries in the freezer.

Nothing to stop you mixing in bulbs and flowers as well as most fruiting plants are quiet bare during the winter months.

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,960
      I'm not usually a big fan of raised beds, but in this situation, they could work well. The soil is likely to be riddled with greedy conifer roots...difficult to cultivate and even more difficult to grow anything productive! Raised beds with a thick geotextile base would let water drain but stop the roots from invading.

• Like Like x 3
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        An alternative to @noisette47 s good suggestion of raised beds is to dig a trench infront of those conifers and line it with strong polythene to stop the roots speading.

You have a good sized greenhouse there and a cold frame, something you use ?

• Like Like x 1
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Yes, that was my thinking too. I’m a fan of raised beds myself as I find them easier to manage, and are a feature in themselves, I think.

• Like Like x 1
          • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
            Ratings:
            +2,618
            I planted a new beech hedge in the autumn on a bank at the bottom of the garden after having a high wire fence erected. Since then I've planted hardy geraniums, heucheras, primroses and bulbs on the bank. The soil is fertile but I encountered many rocks while planting. I am the kind of gardener who makes it up as I go along but I've come to standstill.
            I would welcome any ideas on what I can put at the bottom of the bank to separate it (and define the bank) from a proposed turfed area with three trees.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
              Ratings:
              +755
              It's difficult to give a suggestion without more information. Is the bank north or south facing and does it leave the area at the base of the bank in shade? Is it possible to post a photo of the bank?

I have a steep north facing bank at the front of the house and collected stone from the surrounding fields and the garden to make a very low wall type structure at the base of the bank. It has been covered now with moss and some overhanging plants from the bank and I think it looks nice and stops anything from falling down from the slope onto the driveway under it.