1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ideas please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by willow21, Oct 7, 2005.

1. willow21

willow21 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody, i've recently moved to a new house
    on the coast, it has an open plan front garden which is the size of a postage stamp, currently lawned but i would like to add some interest, maybe some sort of border, have considered a boxed hedge. Any ideas folks ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Is your garden in full sun or shade and does it face the sea, if so how close are you?

Sea Holy, teasle and lavateria will add interest and colour to your garden no matter how big and are salt tollerant. If your soil is very sandy you will need to get to work and add organic compost for some moisture retention.

An American site and a bit technical but gives some lists of tree, shrub, plant and grass salt tollerance. Colorado State University : Co-Operative Extension

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    No suggestions, I'm afraid, just a big welcome to GC. Hope you enjoy your visits!

4. willow21

willow21 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The garden is in shade, the side of the house faces the sea and we are situated a good way inland.

You mention the soil, we find it very heavy and have put that down to the builders. Its a brand new build so was still a building site not so long ago !

Thanks for the lovely welcome and the great suggestions and advice. Cheers

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the garden is very small maybe a small bed of a few different dwarf shrubs and connifers or something of the like would be more interesting than a hedge. A hedge can make a small garden feel even smaller and unless you would like one to provide a bit more security and privacy then I would be inclined to give it a miss. I would recon that if the grass is doing ok then you should be able to grow a good range of plants as well. Since you are only speaking about planting up a very small area though it wouldnt be too difficult to improve those areas with compost etc.
    Happy digging.