1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Identification requested

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Jack by the hedge, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many, many years ago I purchased a small plant, labelled a "broom" by the local shop which sold it, which grew into a very handsome, rather tall, shrub bearing large sprays of sweetly-scented lemon-yellow flowers unlike any other broom that I know of. Unfortunately a rather hard winter put paid to its existence. I've often wondered whether this plant was,indeed, a broom and, if not, what it might have been. I wonder if anybody would like to hazard a guess from my rather vague description. [​IMG]

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There are 4 types of broom like-shrubs: Cytisus, Genista, Ruscus and Spartium. Ruscus is unlikely from your description, Spartium is the spanish broom which has fragrant flowers, Genistas are also fragrant, no fragrance is mentioned with cytisus. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    If it had larger than normal leaves of a silvery hue, then it sounds rather like Cytisus battandieri, the so called Pineapple broom.

4. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for these suggestions. I've looked up web images and it definitely wasn't Spanish Broom. The Pineapple Broom looks more like I remembered it but seemed to recall that it was covered in many more flowers than in any of the images I found which tended to hang from the plant. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm sure Palustris is right. It can be a pretty big bush, and looks like no other broom I've come across. The scent is quite remarkable!