Identification required please!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by redfifi1717, Feb 16, 2006.

1. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    This is our lovely plant that I belive is from the oxalis family, judging by the leaves. They open daily and close at night. Small white with purplish tinge flowers on separate stems. It really is bonny and I potted up a tiny cutting and it is growing apace!

[​IMG]

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I think it is an oxalis- purple wood sorrel or oxalis triangularia purpureum. The large leaves make it something special, don't they... I have small purple ones all over my garden, they arevery pretty but so free growing as to be invasive. The green leaved one has yellow flowers.
    [​IMG]

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  4. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    what a lovely plant. the leaves look like butterflies in that light.

5. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I must say I was rather pleased with that photo, with the afternoon sun streaming in......I'm quite new to photography! Yes I have had the smaller green ones in a garden before. Would this survive in the garden? We are quite windswept up here tho'. Maybe I'll take another cutting and take it to work and put in the greenhouse.

6. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    I think you would be very lucky to get this to survive outdoors.
    The small green, sometime pale purple, yellow flowered Oxalis sometimes called Bermuda buttercup (though it has nothing to do with either)is an absolutely awful pest of gardens all over the world now.
    There are hardy Oxalis which will grow outside in most of the UK, besides the native O. acetosella. Have a look out for O. laciniata and O. adenophylla (Satin flowers). There are lots of others, it is a big family.

7. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all that very useful info. What a wealth of knowledge and info there is amongst us all! [​IMG]