Identify eggs please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by shiney, Oct 15, 2009.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,288
    Oscar the cat lives in our greenhouse since he adopted us some years ago k-l.

We put his food in his greenhouse (wet and dry) and just recently we have found that shortly after we have put his wet food in his bowl it seems to be covered in eggs :(. Naturally, he doesn't eat it. Does anyone know what they are? Mrs shiney has noticed flies settling on the food.

[​IMG]

Oscar says "Thank you very much for any help you can give him" k-l

[​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Shiney,Mrs Shiney and Oscar,:)

They are definetly fly eggs Shiney due to the fact that Mrs Shiney has been putting food out for Oscar and the flies have sniffed out the meat and have homed in to lay their eggs all over it.:euw: which in turn will turn into maggots:(

The only way you will over come the problem is for one of you to be with Oscar when he is fed and to make sure that any food that is uneaten is dissposed off straight away before any flies have a chance to settle.If you close the greenhouse windows and doors while he is being fed,then the flies won't have a chance to get in.Having some of those yellow fly strips might help,if they can catch some of the flies:D Your problem will be worse in the summer months when there are many more flies about.

Also if you use pouches of wet food,make sure you put the empty pouches in a plastic bag,tied up before they go in the dustbin or else your bin will be crawling with maggots when the dustbin men come round.

If it's any consolation,I only left Mabel for fifteen minutes lying in her cage while I sorted out burying her and when I went back to the cage there was at least a dozen blow flies on her body,eeek.I don't know where they came from as there was no sign of them in the garden but they soon detected she was dead.:(

I hope the info that Peri has added above helps Oscar as well and please tell him from me to watch his bum on that cactus plant:D

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,288
    Peri and Kandy, Oscar says thanks for the info :gnthb: k-l k-l