1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiot's guide to weeds?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by waiting for the weather, Jun 19, 2011.

1. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Evening everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen some sort of weed identification guide for when weeds are still really small so you can get them before they grow?

We moved into our house in Feb so I'm baffled as to which of the all the little growing things in the borders I should be pulling up. One I was planning to pull up turned into a huge oriental poppy without warning, so I'm suspecting that I'm pulling up the wrong ones whilst letting invasive weeds grow huge (and re-seed before I've realised.)

I know that 'weed' is a subjective term, but anything would be a start as I'm being over-run and/or possibly destroying what would be lovely plants!

Thanks lots in advance :)

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Ziggy, I would rather not know them!

Spent yesterday afternoon hand weeding amongst rows of onions and other veggies trying to get rid of forests of chickweed before it flowers!

Since the rain it has shot up, and the previous rows I hoed more is coming through the soil, it really is a pest!

Cheers!

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean Makka, spent all afternoon weeding myself, we needed the rain, but so did the weeds:DOH:

Have you tried chickweed chopped up and fried with a bit of butter, sea salt and pepper ?

If you've got a lot of it, might as well enjoy it :dbgrtmb: