1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

If I spend £1M on a spade, will that mean I have the best garden?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    ...or would it just mean I'm rubbish at finances?

Why do politicians insist on measuring their greatness based on how much they intend to spend?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29318856

This time it's Labour (again) promising to spend more on the NHS presumably to make it better. They'll get that extra money by levying an extra tax on people with posh houses. As someone with a modest house, that's probably not a problem for me particularly, but it doesn't really help anyone I think.

I would love for just once for a political leader to come out and say "the whole system is messed up. Too many leaches. Too many private companies that see its a government contract so multiply the price ten fold, we're going to spend less, but get more for it, if necessary by bringing much of the work back in house rather than to private companies. If the private company quotes us a good price, we'll use them, otherwise we'll just hire people directly".

I should point out at this point, I spent 10 years of my career on a government contract. The company I worked for charged my time out at £750 per day for contract work, and £330 per day retainer. The company also charged the government for the rent for our building, as an expense, on top of the actual charges for fulfilling the contract. I once received authorisation by email in less than half an hour to spend £37,500 on two servers that would retail at around £2000 each.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,852
      If I spend £1M on a spade, will that mean I have the best garden?
      No,
      Our spade cost us a few Quid and i don't have the best garden, our garden is just how we like it

Flash no cash
      You can aford anything if you keep up the repaymeants

We do what we want to do, we don't try to keep up with the Jones's, and people say we have a sad life, but because they don't want to talk to us (because we don't keep up with the Jones's) they know nowt about us :snork::dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,666
        It will mean you're taken immediately to the loony bin:)

Throwing cash at the NHS, as has been proven ad infinitum, is pointless until they start learning from outside the NHS which they pointedly refuse to do. Which leads easily into - If you always do what you've always done....

• Agree Agree x 1