1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

If you haven't got these yet - do!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,472
    Got my second batch of these little fellows today, for my bathroom. I had fitted three of them in my kitchen a wee while ago, so when two out of the four halogen bulbs in the bathroom popped, the choice was easy.

Between the two rooms, I have reduced electricity consumption by 315 watts, and although that is not in itself an earth shattering amount, its still money that is better in my pocket than the electricity company's.

The best of it is, these wee bulbs give a much brighter, whiter light than the halogens they replaced, and they are the first credible alternative to the conventional incandescent bulb as far as I am concerned.

Seriously, these are well worth changing over to if you get the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Do they not give out the encroyablé heat that a halogen does? I fitted 2 halogens & promptly ripped them out again when I felt how hot they got.

They were embedded in the celotex insulation, didn't want that catching fire :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Oh, talking about leccy consumption, used a tool from EON to compare mine to simliar houses.

electric.PNG

• Like Like x 4
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,472
          The very back end of them is heat sink for the LED's, which can get a wee tad warm to the touch if they are on for a very long time (hours and hours), but in normal use they give off no heat at all, and the bulb face remains cold to the touch.

They light instantly, with no flicker at all, and colours are much better under them too (they are much more 'daylight' like.

I've just done a quick calculation that the two rooms alone are knocking around £80 a year off my electric bill.

I've also found a floodlight type (either with or without PIR) that only consumes 10w! Kinda puts the 500w beastie that I have out doors at the moment into perspective. I won't remove the current outdoor light as its a rented property, but I am tempted to screw two or three of these to a frame and make a portable work light from them.

I am also intent on slowly but surely phasing the last few incandescent and CFL bulbs out now, as the performance of these is far superior. The downside at the moment is that the 'normal' style bulbs are still £12-£16 a piece.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I got one of these that charges 2 leisure batteries.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/18w-solar-panel-kit-96902

They provide light via 8 watt striplights, using one of them at the moment. If I was staying here i'd get your led's and re enstate the downlighters (they ran off the solar powered batteries too)

• Like Like x 3
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,472
              I definitely think that its things like solar cells and LED's that are the way forward; I'm firmly in the 'highly sceptical' camp when it comes to global warming/climate change, however I do believe that making things more efficient has to be better for everyone, as log as the end product is as good or better than the conventional one -- even if the only benefit of doing so is that everyone has enough heat and light at a reasonable cost.

• Agree Agree x 4
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                True, we might be making a difference to global temperatures, but its nothing compared to what the sun can do if it goes into a hibernation period.

It makes sense to have cheaper bills, not used tungsten filament blubs since 1990.

• Like Like x 2
                • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,626
                  I fitted similar to them into my new bathroom in March.
                  As you maybe aware I have a eye condition keratoconus and need brighter lights to see better when not wearing my contact lenes.
                  The improvement in light is huge, I compare it to a operating theatre lighting.
                  I've got 4 4w (equivalent to 40w I think) in the bathroom and 4 5w (60w equivalent) in the kitchen.

• Like Like x 2
                  • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
                    Ratings:
                    +3,267
                    I've replaced the 50w gu10's (4 of them) in my bathroom with 4 4w LEDs so saving 184w when on. The ones in my kitchen ( 12x 50w mr16 ) are on dimmers and I can't find reasonably priced mr16 LEDs which are dimmable anywhere. I need to though ASAP as when on full pelt 600watts is a lot of money to burn!

• Like Like x 1
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,472
                      I'm also thinking about the comfort and convenience factors too - lights should provide a light that is not only bright enough to allow us to see, but also do so in such a way that colours are at their best, whilst not being hard on the eyes.

My next quest is one of these fellows; it needs to be fitted in conjunction with one of these which connects to the current wiring and replaces this unit which we currently have buried in an airing cupboard.

My thinking is that the current one is either on or its off, so no consideration is given to actual temperatures in the house; we currently have TRV's, which regulate the room temperature to a degree, but the bathroom radiator is the 'vent' rad which is on the whole time the boiler is on. As its been getting a bit chilly the past couple of nights, I set the programmer up in advance of the cold snap that is due from tomorrow - an hour from 7pm, and an hour from 3am; it came on tonight at 7pm and within twenty minutes I had to open the window as it was far too hot, thus completely wasting the heat.

Conversely, there have been times during the winter when it has gotten really cold overnight (we always know when its that cold as the dog jumps onto our bed and tries to sneak under the duvet!), so it can end up freezing cold before the heat kicks in.

My thinking is that a thermostatic controller would not only control the on/off times, but also then regulate the 'on' periods so that the boiler was only actually on when needed; I am hoping that it might also be a bit more efficient to have the system maintaining the temperature within a set range, than heating the house from cold each day, twice a day?

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
                        Ratings:
                        +3,267
                        We use one of those types FC and it's a great bit of kit. It's very easy to maintain the heat at a set temp, has times/date/ degrees/ frost/holiday mode and time to temp programme. You can have the early morn temp come on at 5 am at say, 21 deg, but then from 7 am programmed to drop to 17.

• Like Like x 1
                        • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
                          Ratings:
                          +3,267
                          [​IMG]

The rc control unit is mounted on the wall in the hall ( rad has no trv) and the receiver is wired into the boiler upstairs in the landing room.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,472
                          I am seriously tempted - if only to get the controller away from the reach of the wee one, as she has this habit of going into the airing cupboard (its in her room) and putting the heating on when she feels a tad chilly (and won't even consider a jumper or even a pair of socks to keep warm!)

The only thing I am struggling a wee bit to get my head round is how it will fit in with the existing kit (thermostat on the hot water tank, three way valve etc)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,526
                            FC.......I bought two LED bulbs today for my kitchen with more to follow eventually. Your 'nudge' has worked! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +49,472
                              Excellent! Hope you are happy with them Sheal :)

One caveat that I should add to this thread - AVOID the LED equivalents being sold by Argos and Homebase, TCP branded; they are utter rubbish, and have an extremely high failure rate.

The Long Life Lamp Company ones from Amazon and other retailers are among the better ones.

• Like Like x 1