Impatiens - the other species

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PeterS, Jun 20, 2011.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    It was only relatively recently that I realised that there was more to the Impatiens genus that just the ubiquitous Busy Lizzie. In fact it is a huge genus and there are serious Impatiens enthusiasts.

Having recently bought a I. niamniamensis, and then borrowed a book on the genus from the library, I thought I would have a closer look, and show some of my results here

Species. There are about 1000 different Impatiens species. They are so named in recognition of their impatience, in respect of the explosive way in which the seed capsule opens and distributes its seeds. They are also known as Touch-me-not.

Origin. Most Impatiens come from warmer climes, but are found at altitudes between 3,000 and 10,000 feet where they like the cooler temperatures. They mainly originate from Africa, the Himalayas, India, and South East Asia.

Virtually all the species like damp, shady conditions. very often growing in mountain forests near streams. The fact that so many don't like the heat at a lower level means that many species are cut off from each other in isolated mountain peaks and often only grow in one single location. This isolation has let to the large number of species, but isolation also means that many species are unable to hybridise with each other.

Propagation. The common Busy Lizzies can be easily propagated by seed. But for many other species this is not so easy. In some cases its a matter of seed viability, which might be measured in weeks and sometimes only days. But for most, they come from areas which experience cold conditions over the winter, and these conditions must be replicated before the seeds will germinate. So stratification (cold treatment) is often neccessary. However cuttings are generally easy to take, and this is the main method of propagation.

Overwintering. Many species, like the Busy Lizzie, are tender perennials but are quite easy to overwinter. As they come from high altitudes, they do not need high temperatures, and they also like the lower light levels of partial or full shade. This makes them suitable for overwintering inside the house.

Common species. There are probably three species that everyone knows.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.gardenstew.com'

The first is I. walleriana (above). This is the common Busy Lizzie. It was introduced into cultivation in 1896 from the island of Zanzibar, though it occurs in other parts of Africa as well. Its a tender perennial, which is often grown as an annual, though its not difficult to overwinter inside the house. Since its introduction it has been extensively hybridised and must be the most commonly cultivated plant in the history of horticulture.

As I don't have photos of most of these plants I have had to direct this thread to photos I found on the internet. I hope that by giving credit, I won't upset anyone.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.danheller.com'

The second common species is the New Guinea hybrid, shown above. This is I. hawkeri, a tender perennial, which as its name suggests come from New Guinea. It wasn't until 1970 that this was hybridised with some other species from the same area to produce a plant that is similar to the Busy Lizzie, but larger (up to 3 feet tall) with bigger, more attractive, deep green and bronze leaves. These two species account for the vast majority of Impatiens that are cultivated.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'flora.nhm-wien.ac' - I. glandulifera

The last of the common species is I. glandulifera (Himalayan Balsam), which some may not even recognise as an Impatiens. This is a tall, robust , annual species from the Asia. It was introduced as a garden plant, but has escaped and naturalised in many areas of Europe and the USA and become an invasive weed.

[​IMG]
    Photo: luirig.altervista.org - I noli-tangere

Other, somewhat less common ones are I. balsamina, which was also popular as a garden plant in the past, but not seen much now. And I. noli-tangere (don't touch) - shown above, which is the only UK native species.

Other species - for the garden.

According to my book 'Impatiens' by Raymond Morgan, there are a number of species that are, surprisingly, hardy in warmer parts of the UK.

[​IMG]
    Photo : 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. tinctoria

I. tinctoria is one. Its a tuberous perennial that can grow up to 6 feet. Its hardy in the south, so you can leave it in the ground, or you can treat it like a Dahlia and lift the tuber in the autumn.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'the Irish garden' - I. scabrida

I. scabrida and I. edgworthii are two other reliably hardy, long flowering perennials from Kashmir that grow to about 3 feet.

Other species - patio/houseplants.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. niamniamensis

I. niamniamensis is one that I bought recently. Its a short lived tender perennial from Africa, happiest in some shade. The leaves tend to scorch white if it gets too much sun.

Its sometimes epiphytic - that is to say that it grows on the branches of trees, picking up nourishment and moisture from aerial roots that find what little bits of soil they can in nooks and cranies. That's not to be confused with parasitic, like mistletoe, where the roots bore into the host tree and extract nutrients. Epiphytic Impatiens seem to grow quite happily in compost in containers

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. bequaertii

I. bequaertii is a trailing perennial from the rainforests of West Africa.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. claeri

I. claeri is another plant that would make a first class house plant.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. namchabarwensis

I. namchabarwensis is from Tibet, and is possibly the bluest of all Impatiens species. Only discovered in 2003, this grows to 18 inches and like so many Impatiens it flowers almost all year round, if protected from frost.

[​IMG]
    Photo: 'www.strangewonderfulthings.com' - I. morsei

Another tender perennial that flowers all year round. This one is from China.

It seems that most Impatiens are easy to look after. The biggest problem appears to be locating them. Bilbo 675 informed me that Dibleys Nurseries Seeds and Rhizomes sells a few. There will be others around - but you will have to search for them.

Edit - replace missing picture of scabrida

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Impatien's are a huge and fascinating genus ^^ although busy Lizzie's are hideous:eeew: everytime I see them it makes me think of horrible 60's style council bedding at seaside resorts:rolleyespink:

also I was at Dibley's only the other week it's a fabulous place and guy that runs it is brilliant! so enthusiastic and knowledgeable it was a real treat to meet him and get a tour around his nursery, unfortunatley I didn't have my camera with me but I will see if I can get some photo's from friends who I was with:thumb:

• Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +20
      I've got some trailing Impatiens - can't wait to see how they turn out. Never heard of trailers before.

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        It's a wonderful genus!

I have seeds for I.balfouri, and have been promised some for I.tinctoria. Only this week, a member from another forum sent me a "gift box" that included a small I.kilimanjari which is starting to look good now that it has recovered.

I must admit though, I do hate Bizzy Lizzies!

• Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
        +120
        I'm stunned and amazed. Like lots of you, I'm not keen on bizzy lizzies, but I do have seeds for I. balsamina which I'm looking forward to planting in the Spring.

• Like Like x 1
        • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
          Ratings:
          +2,250
          Busy lizzies are horrible insipid things but some of those impatiens are lovely little flowers!

• Like Like x 1
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,369
            Wow. What a lovely lesson on this genus. I do have the
            flora.nhm-wien.ac' - I. glandulifera
            and they grow so prolific in my garden I just yank them out to keep the amount I prefer to visualize. They reseed like crazy and come up masterfully each year. Of course I by the well known ones, such as your first picture, and depending on how many I put in as babies I do see some seeds that have made it through the winter coming up in cracks and crevises. Will have to look up the others and see if I can get seeds. I love finding the yellow ones in the green houses, which are rare. Thank you for your time to showing this, PeterS.

• Like Like x 2
            • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              Great stuff that Peter, I have two I.niamniamensis plants that I got from Dibley's and although slow to settle and get going after planting them up they are now thriving on my kitchen windowsill which is south-east facing, they don't seem to need huge pots either but do like to be kept reasonably moist. My plants are now about 2ft tall and have been flowering prolificially for the last 3 months :thumb:

I've got seed for I.tinctoria to sow in the spring, only a few so hopefully I'll get at least one plant going, fingers crossed :D

I've just grown a few plants of I.balsamina from seed kindly given to me by Dawn, these are wonderful little plants that can either be grown as houseplants at anytime or as tropical bedding. The flowers are very variable, from pink through to red and purple, some with white throats and some semi-double. My plants flowered on a sunny windowsill for weeks and weeks and are just finished, I'm currently collecting seed from them :thumb:

Another one I collected seed from is I.capensis, I collected the seed from plants growing alongside our local canal;
              http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/general-gardening-discussion/36191-impatiens-capensis.html

I have grown I.balfourii in the past and its a wonderful little plant, need to get more seed :thumb:

So many more than just the 'bizzies' :D

• Like Like x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                "I have grown I.balfourii in the past and its a wonderful little plant, need to get more seed"

Bilbo - pm me an address as I have spare seed.

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
                Ratings:
                +1,667
                Some of those are just stunning!

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,978
                Some handsome plants there.

However, I really like the much-scorned workhorse of many gardens the busy lizzie as well !

• Like Like x 1
                • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23,089
                  • Like Like x 3
                  • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,013
                    That's very different LongK. In fact it looks a bit sinister. :thud: A cross between the Klu Klux Klan and Jeremy Clarkson - perhaps. With apologies in advance to the KKK.

• Like Like x 2
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      I thought that it was rather cool too Peter S!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Looks like its curtains for Busy Lizzies.

The nov issue of The Garden contained a report on resistant Downy Mildew.

Wiping out plants in the nurseries, before they even get to the Gardener.