1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving my lawn..

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by KevBush, May 15, 2015.

1. KevBush

KevBush Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently trying to improve my lawn in stages. The first pics shows the lawn before and after mowing. The last pic shows the patches (and some holes) that were left behind after uprooting dandilions.

So far, I've uprooted lots of dandilions/few other weeds and also aerated the soil with a fork every six inches.

I was wondering what I should do next? Should I scarify/rake the brown patches now whilst the grass has just been cut? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

2. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Have you fed the lawn at all @KevBush , if not I'd be inclined to give it a good feed.
    I wouldn't rake/scarify yet leave till the autumn. Also don't cut too low around 40mm is fine

3. KevBush

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there mowgley, thanks for the reply.

Ah ok, I haven't fed it yet. There are still weeds and dandilions in the lawn. Should I be looking for a weed and feed all in one and would the likes of Wilkinsons sell a decent product?

Also, I still need to buy a hose and fit an outside tap. Can I carry on without these for now or should purchasing these be a priority?

4. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Wilko's weed and feed will be fine, just make sure you use the correct dosage.
    No don't worry about the tap yet.

5. KevBush

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mowgley

I noticed these products in my local morrisons today..

[​IMG]

Though as an absolute novice, I'm confused as there is so many products to choose from lol. I would like to feed the lawn, treat for dandilions/few other weeds and also add more seed to the entire lawn as well as brown patches and bare spots left over from dandelion uprooting.

Should I buy an All in One product or treat the lawn with separate products?

In what order should I do things?

Apologies for all or the questions, I just want to make sure I don't kill my lawn lol :)

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Either of those 2, all in one or evergreen will do fine.I don't buy those because I'm a tight :lolpt: and the wilko's stuff is only £1.99. I also use there grass seed to over seed too which is cheap.
    Just remember to follow the instructions on the back and don't be tempted to use more:)