1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving soil quality in Autumn months?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Oct 8, 2011.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    The soil in my garden was not the best when we moved in. Its changed vastly in appearence over the years though as Ive grown plants & shrubs as well as mix in compost and sand.

In the Autumn/Winter months is there any value in my treating the soil further by applying blood, fish & bone as well as general composts?

With a lot of garden centres selling off compost and fertilisers to free up shelf space from xmas decorations is it worth while buying them to throw in your borders?

Thanks,

2. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,293
    Well IMHO it would be worth buying them, for the fact that they will be cheap

Now when to actually use them would be answered by a Gardener, of which I am only a beginner

My guess would be to buy them now and use them in Febuary.

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Just last sunday I dug 3 sacks of mushroom compost into one soil along the front boundary of the house. The soil there is not so bad, but I'm putting a hedge in as soon as bare root seasons comes, and figured the compost (which is more nutrient rich that ordinary general purpose compost) will just help the young trees to settle in when I plant them.

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Kriss, I always dress my borders in the Winter with compost from my Compost Heap, pots, and any bargain sacks of compost that I've bought. It improves the soil, protects any plants lying dormant underneath, and in the spring the worms will drag it down into the soil. I don't add any fertilisers during Autumn or Winter as it will just get washed away and there are no plants that can put it to good use during that time, better to leave that to Spring.

If you see any bargains of fertilisers or compost I would, like Jack says, buy them for future use.:D

• Like Like x 1
        • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
          +79
          What about leaves? Are they ok to be swept from the lawn and allowed to decompose in borders or should they be set aside in a heap to cure before being applied to borders?

Leaves are the bain of my parents life in their garden with high trees all around them- but the soil is lovely and black in texture- so much so that Ive stolen a fair bit from their garden ;)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          What you do with leaves is a matter of personal choice. Some people are very tidy and hate leaves anywhere so will bag them and let them rot that way, others will let them rot down in the borders as you say. Me?, I let them rot down in the borders and then the worms will pull them down into the soil. You're right they've made your parents soil perfect.:D

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            If you've got perennials in there, the leaves will just act as a nice cosy blanket to protect them, and ultimately break down to give the lovely rich dark compost you describe.

However, it should be noted that some leaves take longer to break down than others, and some affect the pH of the soil. I think as a general rule of thumb, non-waxy leaves of deciduous trees are good. Waxy leaves take longer to break down and can turn the soil acidic.

• Like Like x 2
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I'm proud my Son, I remember when you were dangling your toes into the Gardening pool, fully fledged Gardening Jedi you are now:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Agreed, Obi Canobi, the Force is with him.:D:love30::love30:

• Like Like x 2
                • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,593
                  I use well rotted organic manure in autumn, and also use it as a thick mulch around the roots of plants/shrubs

I have planted several palms at some of my client's homes ... (fortunei and a few chamaerops) ... I have already added a thick mulch of bark and added a 3-4 inch thick mulch of well rotted organic farmyard manure around the bases

this is all the winter protection I do on the palms ... and have not lost one in 3 years

on another forum, some guys are using fleece, lights, etc ... I have also stopped feeding all the shrubs/plants with fertilizer so as to harden them off for winter, and have reduced watering

today, (if it stops raining here in Cambs), I will be giving a small lawn one last treatment before spring ...

I will mow, scarify, mow again to clean up, ... then aerate with a garden fork, and I have bought 2 boxes of bonemeal which I will add to the grass (3,5-17-0) ...

from what I understand, lawns need very little or low nitrogen and high P at this time of year so as to strengthen the roots

I will (hopefully) not mow this lawn again until spring

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,134
                    General advice is not to top dress before the winter because most of the nutrients will be washed away. So I would keep your blood, fish & bone for the spring.

Mulching is good protection over the winter and will encourage earth worms as Armandii says.

The other factor is trying to get everything done in the garden, I have a full time job and the spring is a very busy time in the garden anyway, so I will dig in some of my compost soon in the vegetable patch even though the general advice is wait till the spring.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,593

winter will be here in week (or so I understand from what I have read) ... I'm not too concerned about the nutrients, but am more concerned about the cold, so I mulch with a thick layer of manure

as for lawns, I am only using bonemeal (not fish/blood and bone) ... I'm still learning, but what I understand is that lawns need a low nitrogen and high P fertilizer in autumn, so as to strengthen the roots ... bonemeal is 3.5 - 17 -0 and is slow release

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
                    +79
                    So can I use virtually any compost as a mulch? Will I concentrate it around the base of shrubs or does it have to cover the entire border to be effective?

My parents burn all their leaves throughout autumn because they have so many- its a daily job- could I just use them as a cheap mulch or would compost be better as its already degraded?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,593
                    as far as I understand:

mulch (when used as a winter protection from the cold) is used around the base/roots of the plant and compost is better than newly fallen leaves ...

some use bark chips as a mulch to supress weeds

for mulching (for the cold), I prefer manure ....

if you are looking at improving the soil quality, it may be better to add compost or manure over the whole bed

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                    +12,321

Hi Kriss

To note , using multi purpose compost to mulch around plants be careful as the multi purpose will realy hold the water and for some plants will hate this , so depending on the plant use bark instead, still has all the qualities you want but drainage will improve .

Didt wont to jump this thread as you have been given realy good answers.

Spruce