1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

In memoriam Alfie Luke - 7th Feb 2005 to 13th December 2019

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by clanless, Dec 14, 2019.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    Yesterday - 13th December 2019 at 17.40 - Alfie passed away in my arms. I wanted to make a record of this on the internet for posterity.

Alfie was living in the Colwyn Bay branch of the RSPCA when he joined our family on the 22nd August 2015, we do not know his history prior to this date.

He had a minor heart murmur, lost an eye, was deaf and missing a tail. Although the vet told us that he probably never had a tail.

He was supposed to be an indoor cat (due to his deafness) - but the garden was made secure and he was let out on a daily basis.

He loved just sitting under the back garden arch in the sun.

He was poorly in March this year - he lost the use of one of his rear legs. The vet diagnosed a clot cutting off blood to his rear leg - but he was given a chance, and he did recover. All seemed well until Wednesday 11th December 2019. Just after I had arrived home from the allotment he started to make some strange noises. I rushed into the room to find that he had lost use of both his back legs and was finding it difficult to breathe, a clear liquid dribbling out of his mouth. I picked him up and put him over my shoulder whilst patting his chest. This seemed to work - a fair amount of clear liquid being expelled.

He could breathe now - so we decided that, as before, he might regain control of his legs. He was so poorly he had stopped eating - we would contact the vet early next week if the situation had not improved.

Thursday 12th December - no improvement, not eating, sleeping all day.

We take some comfort from the fact that Alfie was just short of 15 years old - or late 70's in human years.

He will be buried in the back garden tomorrow - and I will be planting a white rose above him.

The world seems a little less bright today - we will miss you Alfie.

045.JPG IMG-0237.JPG IMG_20160719_123220.jpg IMG-0228.JPG

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,304
      Hi @clanless He looks a lovely cat and you gave him a loving home. That's all that he could hope for. :grphg:

You may want to repeat this post in this thread. It's specifically for what you intended and has had nearly 16,000 views. :blue thumb:

The GC PET RAINBOW GARDEN.....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,667
        Ah, Bless Alfie. xx Beautiful photos, love the tongue poking out. He looks just like my Puschka who died aged 15 and her brother Skwij who was 13 when he passed. Love the white rose. I always plant over mine dearly departed ... except the one we had cremated and she was scattered in the garden. Pure white cats seem to be plagues with more health issues. Did you get him in 2005 or 2015?

RIP Alfie Luke. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,607
          What a lovely cat. He reminds me of a cat my family had when I was about 3 years old. We called him Snowball. Hugs, from me. Losing a family member is always heartbreaking. :sad:

• Agree Agree x 4
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,523
            Hugs to you. just lost mine in July. he also elderly 16. He is in the garden. Miss him everyday.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
            • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,401
              Feel for you @clanless, it hurts but at least his pain has stopped. We have had three rescue cats over the last 35 years, one Tikka for 20 years. It does look like Alfie had a caring home.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Really, really sorry to hear about Alfie, clanless. I lost my cat Sally last year, and she had only the one eye, wasn't never the biggest Cat around due to being born while her mother had Cat Flu, but she had the biggest heart and brought a lot of love and fun with her. I think Sally had the same symptoms as Alfie towards the end while I stayed with her all the time...........I cried like a baby when I lost her, so I know how you feel.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                  Ratings:
                  +50,667
                  My Magic Sam (Boo) aged 20 had similar end of life symptoms, so the Vet came out on a Sunday morning and he fell asleep in my lap in the sunshine. We all had tears. They give us so much joy then heartache.

I hope yesterday brought you some peace Clanless. Will you get another?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1