1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

In the words of Bowie, I'm an absolute beginner!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by stacyg, Aug 17, 2016.

1. stacyg

stacyg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Evening folks - I'm hoping for some advice re. my new garden. I've moved into a new property recently which has a beautiful big garden which is in need of some serious TLC! To say the previous owners neglected the garden would be an understatement! It has huge potential and I love a challenge but I have literally zero knowledge of gardening. I'm looking for some help in identifying the variety of plants and weeds that live in the garden. I want to clear the place of the weeds whilst ensuring I don't damage any of the plants or flowers that may be lurking in beside them! I've taken a few pics which I attach below (inc. a couple of the whole garden to give you an indication of how overgrown it is!) and would be grateful if people could simply tell me what it is and whether it should stay or go! Massive thanks in advance and apologies if the photos are not great, just snapped them on an iPhone!

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner stacyg. :) Starting with the plants on the left....

1. Ipomoea
    2. Crocosmia (Montbretia)
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. Hydrangea
    6. Sorry, need a clearer, closer picture of stem and foliage.

On right.......
    1. There's a mixture here but the heart shaped leaves look like Bindweed.
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. Blackcurrant ?
    5. Need a closer shot of leaves.
    6. Willow Herb ?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      To add to Sheal's list, think, on the left,
      3 Rosebay Willow Herb (weed, blast with weed killer asap! or dig out but the roots go down to almost Australia
      4 Lysimachia, it's an herbaceous plant, quite vigorous and like the vast majority of herbaceous, the growth will die off in the Autumn and reappear next Spring.
      6 Looks like the seed heads of Rosebay Willow Herb, so as no 3
      On the right
      2 possibly Strawberry but not sure.
      That's about the best I can do sure someone else will be able to fill in the gaps for you altho agree with Sheal, possibly closer/clearer photos of the ones we haven't identified would be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • stacyg

Ratings:
        +2
        Huge thanks for your help so far! Some additional images! :)

Attached Files:

• miner2049er

miner2049er Gardener

Ratings:
        +22
        Welcome.

I had a ton of Crocosmia in my garden when I moved in and I took it out.

It was taking over and I didn't think the flower to leaf ratio was worth it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • miner2049er

miner2049er Gardener

Ratings:
          +22
          On the right.

6 looks like some towels. Hope that helps.

• Funny Funny x 2
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            1 left is Spirea Douglasii
            3 Hardy Geranium of some sort
            4 jungle!:)
            1 right Blackberry
            2 Foxglove will die off, you could collect the seed and sow it if you wanted to.
            3 Weed suffering from powdery mildew i think
            5 Some sort of Nettle but not totally sure,
            With a lot of hard work and clearing, I'm sure you will make a lovely garden in your new home.
            Apart from the Hydrangea, Spirea and possibly the Crocomsmia and Lysimachia I would be inclined to bin all the rest of what you have shown us. It is very much easier to completely clear a bed with all the weeds which you have rather trying to weed round the odd plant. You can then spend the winter doing lots of homework about what you would like to grow....bank balance will be taking a hit I expect:).
            I have no idea where you live but GC member shiney has a wonderful plant sale every May, If you didn't live too far away from him you could get loads of lovely plants for much less than you would be able to buy them for in garden centres/supermarkets and get expert advice about them at the same time. You would also be doing a bit for charity. If you lived anywhere near me I have masses of spare plants and could stock your whole garden probably but I live in Scotland and from your photos I don't think you do!

• Like Like x 1
            • stacyg

Ratings:
              +2
              Thank you for all these helpful replies! And thank you for the advice Silu - would certainly make things easier to clear whole beds! And I do live in Scotland...just managed to capture the garden on one of our few sunny days! I'm just outside of Edinburgh in Midlothian so not sure if anywhere near the sale in May you mention?

P.S. miner2049er -haha

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,599
                2. Left.....That looks like a Spirea too ?