1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent Scotland?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, May 7, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,327
    With the landslide victory for the SNP we can speculate that there is a possibility that Scotland may become independent at some time.

As I am not very well up on political situations this seems as though it will create some problems within Scotland.

It seems to me that once they have Independence there won't be a need for the SNP :scratch:.

People voted SNP because they wanted to govern themselves. Once independent they will then have a higher priority on what they think are the important issues and almost certainly disagree on how things should be run. Will they then be voting for people under the usual three banners of Labour, conservative and Lib Dem?

Any ideas? :what:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,639
    Not getting involved in this one Shiney.

Just like to say that I think England should get in there first, and go independent, before they do.:)

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,327
    Oh, come on, pete! Get in there and stir it. :dbgrtmb: :heehee: :loll:

That's why I started this. :stirpot:

come on, everyone, get stuck in. :D

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I'm with Pete. Don't want to get stuck in on this one! I think the Scots, and the Welsh for that matter, should have whatever form of government they want. I love both countries - and countries they are, with their own culture and identity. Mind you, I sometimes think there is a strong argument for declaring the South East an independent state. No universally free tuition or prescriptions down here, even though we foot the bulk of the tax bill. :heehee:

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,327
    Shineyland went independent years ago :dbgrtmb:

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    :heehee: I can believe it, Shiney!

7. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I did not vote for SNP, as far as i know legally the SNP can hold a Referendum but if the outcome is a majority for Independence the result has to be approved by the Westminster Parliament. personally i think there wont be a Referendum for 3134Karen the people of Scotland will be opposed to Independence on Referendum Day.the reason why SNP won so many seats this time was the collapse of the LIB/DEM vote. there were a great many disgruntled LIB/DEM voters making a protest vote against Mr Clegg and co and voted SNP.

Its a question of watch this space :thumbsup:.

8. NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    My view is, if Scotland, Wales, or even Ireland for that matter, want to become independent, they should do so, as long as they can fund themselves.

9. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    The problem with the S.N.P Manifesto is the sums do not add up:scratch:.
    Free Prescriptions, Council Tax Frozen For 5 yrs, free Tuition fees, where is the money going to come from:scratch:. Free Prescriptions, They have started already changing peoples medicines to cheaper brands which are inefficient/inferior. Council Tax Frozen for 5 yrs, the service's are being cut as we speak. bin collections are being cut,libraries staff being cut ,hours being cut etc. Free Tuition Fees :scratch:. :scratch:.

10. SausageFingers

SausageFingers Gardener

Looking after the twinnies
    Ratings:
    +47
    Last I heard, the SNP were talking about raising our taxes to pay for these things, if they had the opportunity to do so - which they do now...
    I don't see how they can freeze our council tax - the Tory/LibDems have left local councils with huge budget shortfalls, if our council tax went up by a few pounds a month, this would help bridge the gap, and save essential services like Education, and cleansing.

11. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    republic of ireland is free ( sponsored by EU and UK money), the north is enslaved to the UK.

one small matter if we go indie, who is going to supply the men and women, boys and girls to fight and die in our wars?

The Scots reg have just returned from Afg, the Irish a few weeks ago and one of the Welsh regs some time ago!

Me, I like the idea of this slightly disunited kingdom!

Ps. when is Offa's Dyke and Hadrains Wall going to be rebuilt as well as the Watford Gap filled in???????

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      What interested me was the statement by a Senior SNP member that they'd kept within budget for the last 3 years.:scratch: They also said that Scotland gave more in revenue to the UK government than they got back, I presume that they're talking about the North Sea Oil revenue.

The SNP also said they could be financially secure in they did go Independent, so again I believe they're thinking of securing and keeping all the Oil revenue for Scotland. While I don't believe the oil belongs to any one "country" I do believe that it should be put to good use for Scotland, Wales, and England. Besides, the Oil revenue is finite and no country should pin their financial future on only one form of income which probably has a life of 30 or 40 years at best. But if you take away the Oil revenue, what other source of finance is there for Scotland. I don't ask that question in a derisory fashion but I not sure that Scotland has anything that would support the Independent Scottish Government, the state services it's people will need, including the free services they get now. That will require an awful lot of money, surely the SNP don't believe that taking control of the North Sea Oil revenue will suffice? I've got a sneaky feeling that that is what they do believe.

The desire for Independence is one that causes much emotion, dissension, and loss of cold hard reason. The United Kingdom is a very small island in a very big world, We were a great country some time ago, but that was some time ago. The Scots, the Welsh, and the English have been at each other throats for centuries, fighting futile wars for futile reasons, but out of it was forged a country of 3 nations that stood together during 2 World Wars and several Depressions that brought great suffering to all. The Great British Empire has been and gone, and will never rise again from the ashes.

So what's left of the Great Power as recognised by the world some time ago?? Three small countries caught in a world wide recession frantically looking for a political panacea which they think will please the people of their own particular country. Independence, the great opium for the people, well, it is addictive, it is financially ruinous, and it will prove to be bad for the health of all three independent countries. We are squabbling over our own futures, each concerned with our own petty needs, blind to the fact that, in cold hard reality, we have all been bound together, geographically and in a love/hate relationship, for centuries.

I see no harm in devolution, more freedom for each country politically, but to have 3 tiny Independent countries on one little island is a recipe for financial disaster for all 3 countries. It's a step back to medieval times, and would give the extreme politicians opportunity to wave National banners for their own agenda, which is usually to line their own pockets and create little empires for themselves. It's happened before centuries ago and it will happen again if independence is seen to the future for the 3 nations.

• Like Like x 2
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        Some very perceptive comments you've made Shiney!
        Here's my view, as a sassenach who has now lived up here for 50+ years.
        The growth in the SNP support has been in no small part due to a feeling, right or wrong, of marginalisation and a feeling that Scotland wanted its voice to be listened to rather than brushed off as just a whisper from the 10% of UK voters north of Hadrian's wall. The conservative vote up here in rural areas was very largely based on the old feudal system where the tennants voted as the laird dictated. This has been slowly changing over the last 30 years and accelerated when the Blessed Mrs T decided to use Scotland as test bed for the poll tax.
        The labour vote has been steadily declining in line with with loss of our traditional labour intensive industries - ship building, heavy industry and mining and the associated trades unions. Disenchantment with Tony B and Gordon B didn't help much either.
        The lib-dem vote this time round evaporated due to what previous lib-dem voters saw as a sell out of lib-dem principles.
        As far as the future is concerned I'd very much doubt if there would be any majority support for full independence and I think the economics, apart from any other considerations, wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny.

The SNP victory should be seen as a poke in the eye for Westminster and as " Hey, watch out, because we're watching you and we've just discovered that our votes do really count"

• Like Like x 4
        • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,729
          There were some interesting letters in the papers yesterday, raising questions such as: would an independent Scotland take on a proportion of the UK's national debt, and if so, how much? What would happen to Scottish banks which are still partly owned by UK taxpayers? What would happen to the defence of Scotland? One correspondent maintains (I have no idea whether or not this is true) that according the international rules on boundaries, a fair proportion of the oil reserves fall into English waters!

• Piffyuk

Piffyuk Apprentice Gardener

n/a
          Ratings:
          +1
          I'm an emigre originally from the Peak District who has been in Scotland for the last twenty years. I'd have to say my assessment is similar to Dave's. Most of my Scottish friends have no desire for an independent Scotland in the slightest but they are very disenchanted with the Lib Dem's which is what's come across in the recent election.