1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor plant help please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sagat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. sagat

sagat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my first flat, and could do with a bit of advice on what indoor plants I could cultivate.

Ive attached a pic so you get a rough idea of the layout. I have the 3 big bay windows, and the sun shining in until around 1pm in the afternoons. Im in Brighton, right by the sea, so would the air make a difference?

Id like to get some large potted plants to go either side of the middle window. Any ideas what would thrive and flower nicely with a fair bit of direct sunlight?

I also have a small balcony, which gets the sun for a bit longer during the mornings and afternoons, so any suggestions for that appreciated too!

Thanks in advance :thmb:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi sagat & welcome to GC.. What a beautiful window to have.. Well you could go for a few tropicals.. Draceana, Pheonix Palm, Alocasias, a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Zamioculcas, they are relatively new here.. All pretty easy care, just feed & water.. Begonias are beautiful & flower too.. Lilies, Hibiscus lovely indoor flowering ones.. Just about any tropical flower or bromelaids lots of these to choose from that are brightly coloured Guzmania is a common one, Tradescantia- Zebrina or wandering Jew plant.. Hope that helps you to get started cant think of any more for a minute.. :thumb:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

3. sagat

sagat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I was in Homebase earlier and really liked the look of some Guzmanias there, plus I think the name is superb! Might pop back later and invest.

Right Im off to google some of those others and have a look. Much obliged! Will post a pic or two once sorted (and when I have tidied my front room!) to get any opinions on improvements.