Infection

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Gizmo, May 18, 2022.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    I have just noticed this on rocco it seems a bit crusty

20220518_142013.jpg

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Hi you should take rocco to see a vet to treat the underlying cause of scabs, which could be things like fleas, allergies, or infection. dry skin can cause scabs sunburn ,diet can cause scabs
    You can treat mild scabs at home yourself some have used Vaseline i although s safe to put on your dog’s scabs, and It might feel soothing, it would be better. Instead, to use a balm or salve specifically formulated for dogs . brushing a dog often and bathes can help to keep debris of dirt building up which can lead to scatching and scabs remember not always can you see fleasandcertain parisites so get him checked

two good sites you can to look at
    Betterpet.com › dog-crusty-scabsHow to treat your dog’s crusty scabs, according to vets
    20/04/2022 · The causes of crusty scabs: Mange, allergies, infections, and more Parasites. Parasites are a common cause of crusty scabs on dogs and refer to tiny insects
    petstreat.org › dog-health-tips › fix-crusty-scabsHow to Fix Crusty Scabs on Dog Skin (Causes & Solutions) Allergies. Skin problems related to allergies can lead to sores, rashes, and scabs on your dog’s skin. If your dog..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: May 20, 2022
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,385
      Looks like a skin infection to me.
      Worth a visit to the vet if only to stop it spreading.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,648
        Check your insurance, ours gives us free access to FirstVet who do video consultations. It's worked for us as a starting point, they will be able to diagnose that and recommend the next steps.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +849
          thanks for your advice , unfortunately we have no one to take him down to the vets as i have hip problems at the moment ,we did send pictures across to the vet and they done a phone consultation , the vet is suggesting that rocco has scratched this area and dont seem infected so he will be going on anti itch meds he has had before in september 2021 for 10 days ...
          rocco did scratch or rub his bits before and it appeared he had a spot on the end of his willy which is all cleared up ..
          unfortunately vets all ways blames the breed of dog and see pound signs all the time ,we have tried many sites for insurance even for pre conditions..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
            +609
            Hi gizmo there are some breeds more prone to itching but still all dogs are different
            A site that been helpful to me
            www.petforums.co.ukPet Forums Community
            All kinds of pets are discussed in fact i sometimes go onthere for some advice

I find most insurance just like the vet see pound signs i have had freinds who had insurance and had some bad experiences i know some are ok but i wonder is it always worth it? personally i have not taken out insurance for tiggs there are some things you can do at home , so far he had no major illnesses and he is 13 now
            Look at the site and im sure your dog well get better

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              Many thanks for the website and advice
              We got rocco from a breeder when he was 2 years old .After taking him home we had problems getting his vets swopped over when this was sorted out and took him to our vets all they said was allergy allergy no tests for any allergy has been done .he does get a folical infection around his mouth area as he does rub along the ground and open up his folicals so he is washed with clx wipes every day ..when we look for insurance we say pre existing conditions which is he folical issue that's all but the price could range over £200 a month which we cannot afford as on benefits .he is now 5 years old and happy ...

• pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,385
              Dog breeders have a lot to answer for IMO..
              Too much money to be made breeding dogs with deformities that are unnatural, and the poor dogs and owners pay the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                +849
                what deformitie has rocco got ?

• pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,385
                Don't take it the wrong way @Gizmo I'm sure Rocco is a lovely dog .

The fact that you have to clean the folds in his skin is IMO wrong, certain breeds have been bred with these squashed faces that cause all kinds of breathing problems etc.

A dog should be pretty much trouble free, but breeders breed in all kinds of deformities in order to make money.
                Sad bolting eyes is another one they like, the more highly bred a dog is the bigger the vet bills will be.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +849
                  Rocco is what we call a large Frenchie he is 21 kilo and not over weight he was used as a stud dog by the old owner and helped with 147 puppies .rocco was breed by king .we took advice over his bits from vets and schooling for dogs and decided to keep him in tact .
                  Rocco is very friendly even likes cats he don't chase or bark at another dog .rocco enjoys his daily wash and we don't mind .he is very lovely and enjoyable

If frenchie and pug etc have got issues with folds then they should not have been made..

• Like Like x 1