Information & Guidance about Making a Will

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by weedaway, Apr 27, 2022.

1. weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +458
    Hi.

This may be too far off topic for a gardening forum but I think many of us are of a similar age or generation and therefore some of you may have been involved in making a Will so you may be able to help me with my question.

I wanted to make a will now that I am no longer a spring chicken, I have googled solicitors for this reason, I have spoken to some of them whose fees are in excess of £200 for an uncomplicated Will. Whilst I was googling I came across a number of companies who offer this same service asking for £40 which will be donated 100% to the Air Ambulance charity for my will to be written.

Obviously there is a vast difference between the prices but I am assured that the £40 will is just as legal and binding as the other one for £200, it sounds too good to be true but there is no point in paying more than I need to.

I am suspicious that it might be a scam.

Have you come across or heard anything like this yourself or can you shed any light on it please.

Trish

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,967
    WH Smith used to sell a pack for a DIY will, with everything required for a straightforward one. Once you've completed it and it's been witnessed you can choose to lodge it with a solicitor, although I think most charge for the privilege.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

As far as we know they are not scams and the will is drawn up by a solictor, just that you need to leave something in the will to the charity concerned, though not all solicitors will operate such schemes.
    How much or what percentage is not always specified in the adverts.

If you have any doubts you could always contact the charity in the first place.

You may also have seen that about twice a year there are low cost or free Wills months by solicitors, but only a few operate those schemes and as we found non would even reply to our requests !

We went for a standard local solicitor and paid £180, but a couple of things might help,
    First ask and make sure you find out how long it would take, ours was hopeless and had to be pushed all the way, took 6 weeks! about 2 weeks should be normal.
    Second, many solicitors as you to list all your assets, monies etc - No Way woud we do that!
    Also you do not have to let the solicitors office hold your Will, "for safety etc" you can take it away if you want, if you have somewhere or someone safe to hold it.

Just know who you want to be the Execuctors, (please do ask them first if they will do that)
    and then what you want to do with your estate, perhaps some small cash sums if you want, but the bulk to be divided up as percentages rather than getting involved in large cash values.

Have a read the at this MSE site for all the Will options, though we would say for piece of mind do use a proper Solicitor, direct or in conjunction with a Charity.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/free-cheap-wills/

hth

• Informative Informative x 1
    • weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +458
      I am reluctant to do my own will and suspicious of so called cheep wills, in case they are in some way null and void come the day, but I don't want to pay unnecessary expensive solicitors fees.

I lost my father several years ago, when he died if he had a will no one could find it, I was appalled at how so many people were trying to make claim to anything he had, his death went to probate and took many years to finalise with a hefty solicitors bill at the end of it, all this just because there was no will available and individuals were insisting that my father told them that certain items were left to them.

this is what I want to avoid, any doubt.

Here is the link to the company offering the service I mention, they are sending a local para-legal to my home next week, I am very hesitant and worried, I don’t trust any company who has an interest in making my will because of what happened over my fathers death.

G-Help Appeal Will - Wills & Legal Services

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +17,645
      My late partner made a DIY will and it was all above board and legal.
      It has instructions with it and you get two witnesses to sign it in the presence of the will maker.
      It will have to go to probate after the person dies and you can take it to a solicitor for that, but B's next of kin did it on their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,177
        I wrote my own and you record it in the national will register, £30.

• Like Like x 3
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,397
          I'm leaving all my debts to the government.

• Funny Funny x 6
          • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,777
            Please be aware that Wills in Scotland are different from England and Wales as these cheaper options usually make clear in the small print. Weedaway, you say UK but not where in UK.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +8,190
              My local Pilgrims Hospice were offering Free Wills for a donation to the Hospice, I took them up on their offer.

• Like Like x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                Hi @weedaway

Think you have answered your own questions.

"they are sending a local para-legal to my home next week, I am very hesitant and worried, I don’t trust any company"

So phone them back and cancel the appointment !

If you want it done properly then using a qualified solicitor is the right way to ensure its 100% legal, it will cost you that £200, but what price peace of mind ?

The £200 fee is for a typical single persons Will with straightforwards bequests, so it does help if your are clear in your own mind what you want to happen before talking to the solicitor.

Be aware that whatever course you take, many will mention Power Of Attorney, but you do not have to do that then or at any time, but something you may want to consider for the future.

If you really want to leave something to a charity, then its simple enough to bequeath an amount to whoever you want in your Will.

Do you know of any recommended local solicitors ? if not look up one from the Law Societys web page.
                Find a Solicitor - The Law Society

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +117,318
                I look after some disabled people and have helped them have their wills written. Each time we did it through 'Will Aid'

The charity Will writing scheme | Will Aid

November is Will Aid month and a lot of solicitors give their time free for it. They don't charge a fee but do suggest a donation to the charity. As the people I look after don't have a great deal the solicitor said that £25 would be sufficient but they normally suggest about £75.

The solicitor that we had our wills drawn up by was one of the solicitors on the list so I got them to do the wills for them. They did them for a £25 donation and I took them to the solicitor's office each time and oversaw the procedure.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +45,651
                Oxfam will do it for free, you don't have to donate or leave them anything but it would be fair to do something. Send off for a info pack and can be done over the phone, at a local solicitors or they come to you. It's only England and Wales, assuming that is you ?

• weedaway

weedaway Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +458
                Devon is where my home is.

I started looking into this a few weeks ago which was well over due, the more I read the more confused and worried I became, I rang one solicitor on recommendation but they had been taken over by another one who operates 120 miles away from me, I rang another one who has not rung back in two weeks, I rang a third one who at least told me the price of £200, my head was spinning, that’s when I saw the wills for £40 on a google, but I thought this might be a scam having been victim to one not long ago, do you see my dilemma.

I don’t want to offend anyone but I don’t trust solicitors any more than the local second hand car dealer.

• Useful Useful x 1
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +13,967
                  Oh for goodness sake! There are at least two of us here who have gone the DIY route, and several of my relatives and in-laws, including my father, left clear, concise, legal wills which were processed without any complications. I don't trust solicitors either, so when a simple, effective alternative (or 3) presents itself, what's the problem?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,318
                  Another idea is to speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

Our wills are through a solicitor and as Jocko said, we didn't want Scottish law to trip us up when making them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1