1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Inherited Sycamore. To be or not to be.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by The Tall One, Mar 12, 2019.

1. The Tall One

The Tall One Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    So we're moving house. The new garden is a west facing rectangle approx 10.5 X 12.5m. At the west end, right in the middle of the boundary wall is a very large (I'd guess 40ft) sycamore.

We're going to be completely redesigning the garden as it's been so neglected for so long there's not much option but to start again.

My question is what to do with the Sycamore?

It's been pollarded (I think that's the term) before and is pretty ugly, but also comfortably the biggest tree around and it dominates that end of the garden.

We want the garden to be a haven for wildlife as well as for us so if we did get rid of it i'd plant something else (ideally with a bit more wildlife value) in its place. But we'd still be losing a tree and it will take years for any replacement to begin to fill it's shoes.

I'm really torn on this. If there were no consequences we would take it down and plant something else, but taking a chainsaw to it feels somehow wrong.

Any advice?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    You will get differing opinions but mine is to get rid of it :)
    Sycamores can get very large, grow fast, throw loads of seedlings and leaves and not esp attractive in my opinion
    Taking the tree down now rather than later surely is preferable; or a compromise of dramatic pollarding now with the intention to do so every year I think
    On my boundary here 3 sycamores have been removed over the winter.....one was huge. It had been cut several times but still grows overwhelmingly:sad:.
    The cut and removed trees will be replaced with indigenous smaller growing trees

• Agree Agree x 5
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,306
      I agree with Verdun, my neighbour had one and what a pain pulling up small Sycamore trees in my garden every year. It's been taken down and other nicer trees planted.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,343
        I also agree - I suffered years of sycamore seedlings in a previous garden. If you remove it, hawthorns, rowan etc would be good for wildlife - and you could get 'fancier cultivars. They certainly wouldn't take long to have an impact on wildlife due to their berries.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
          Ratings:
          +327
          Aaaaah.....Sycamore , the bull of the Acer family , and not a particularly good tree for wildlife .
          Agree with all the above , get rid and plant something more useful !
          Be careful with a 40' tree , that is a fair size to tackle .

• Agree Agree x 1
          • The Tall One

The Tall One Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +6
            Well this is all leaning very much in one direction.If only all votes were so straightforward:).

I do have a nice little woodburner here. And an airy cellar to season it in...

• Like Like x 2
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,610
              I had one of three Sycamores removed last Autumn. A 60ft tree with a huge stump that left a crater in my garden. Like our friends here I find them unattractive, they self seed everywhere and the leaves tend to develop black spot as the season progresses.

080.JPG
              081.JPG
              082.JPG

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              I love trees but have to agree on taking it out. Sycamores do dominate and aren't that great in a wildlife garden. Have a look on the Woodland Trust website for some good alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
                +172
                I removed 3 trees from my garden one of which was a very large but hacked oak tree. It was a difficult decision but in the end I was happy. If it was me I would replace with a full size apple or plum tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,090
                  Get rid. Im surrounded by neighbours monsters. Shade knackers the lawn.seeds knacker the guttering etc.

Theyre just massive weeds imho. Even the local wildlife avoids them. Get that chainsaw going...

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                    Ratings:
                    +14,125
                    Hi @The Tall One I agree with everyone else I would have it removed and the stump ground out as well if possible as they are not at all suited to smallgatdensvwhere they will dominate come summer...

Before you do that get in touch with the tree department in your local council.. Ask them to come and look to make sure there isn’t a TPO on it and that no concervation orders either have been put on it... If there is and you didn’t check you will get slammed a hefty bill by the council..

Sometimes local tree surgeons will include that search for you if you ask them at a small extra cost in their quote.. :SUNsmile: