1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

insect netting advice please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lowrider69, May 2, 2018.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi guys I'm doing my 1st veg (around 5m x 3m) patch this year normal stuff cabbage collie sprouts and was wondering if its worth buying that insect netting on a frame you can buy these days as never grown veg before I,m worried it would all be eaten buy insects and butterflies, not sure how high sprouts grow though.

is it worth investing in? and where would a cheap place to buy it from be please?

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Hello @lowrider69. Although my gardening doesn`t currently include veggies, I`d just like to mention how dangerous that netting can be to hedgehogs and other creatures.
    I would never ever consider using it here ....[​IMG] upload_2018-5-2_20-51-20.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      that would not happen if its built on a frame like I was thinking that happens when you use it loose and they get caught up on it,

Don't think anyone has ever had any problems with bugs on there veggies as had no replies lol

Maybe I worded the tread wrong as I really don't know if insects are in fact much of a problems on cabbage sprouts or collies

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Goodness knows why the veggie growers haven`t answered your query @lowrider69 :scratch::sad:
      Although netting might deter butterflies and pigeons, I don`t think it would be of any use against bugs like flea beetles and aphids. Chemicals are never a good idea - especially on stuff you want to eat. These days I think that biological control is probably what I would choose to use.
      I can`t be bothered with cabbages and the like .... I get those from the cabbage shop :snorky: and just stick with growing ornamental stuff (which costs me too much money usually)

Let`s hope one or two of the others can help you better ...fingers crossed :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Polythene mesh will entangle frogs, toads and snakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          • Like Like x 1
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Scaffolding netting rolls from eBay (or building sites). I very much doubt a hedgehog could get caught in that unless it's claw got stuck..? :dunno:

Butterflies and caterpillars can be a massive problem if brassicas are not netted. Pull back netting daily and inspect each brassica for eggs/caterpillars.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Either have the mesh starting above a timber board at ground, cover the bottom with heavy duty polythene, corrugated plastic, etc., or use scaffolding debris netting. I got 2 rolls of this 2 x 20m mesh for only £25.98 Debris Scaffold and garden Netting + free tarpaulin wind shade mesh crop shade 5055557558042 | eBay collected from Argos to avoid staying in wating for delivery. I got £10 off a £30 spend by creating yet another new ebay account using yet another new Paypal account and got yet another promotional discount by making a couple of very small purchases then leaving it dormant, same as with our new Amazon accounts.

P.S. It's not just caterpillars that's a problem with brassicas, pigeons strip the leaves in no time, plus our chard, and they'll peck out rows of small seedlings.

• Like Like x 1
                Last edited: May 3, 2018
              • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
                Ratings:
                +174
                thanks for the advice guys and the link that's a good ideal scrungee, here's a photo of my little Veg patch and I have a small dog and a cat that run around the garden all day long so to be honest any small animals with be picked off by the cat even though I make her wear a bell coller, I have never heard of brassicas before had to google it lol.
                Tetters that's what I want to grow really stuff that cost a lot to buy, so thought collie, broccoli, chinese cabbage, cues in the veg patch and try some peppers and butternut squash,courgette and melon I my small green house and 1 of each around the front of the bungalow where I get the most sun just to see what does best where, I have tried to grow peppers and courgettes before but never done very well, I love growing plants but it is a new hobbie of mine now I have gardens, I,m doing flowers around the front,

I'm not getting emails of replies to this thread even though I,m following it any ideals?

thanks for the advice guys

Attached Files:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                I wish you all the luck in the world with your new venture. Stick with it and you will learn as you go on ... :)

:wub2: your little dog :imphrt:

• Like Like x 1
                • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
                  Ratings:
                  +174
                  Thanks Tetters, I know quite a bit about plants just always been a container growing due to lack of garden but now have a nice bungalow.. (dog 10 month old) Titch the Chihuahua shes my best mate lol