1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Instructions On Composting..

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by shiney, Jun 27, 2010.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,330
    [align=center]Here is some basic info on composting

by kind permission of

The Royal Horticultural Society

[/align]
    [align=left][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may be able to notice from this next picture that they grow their comfrey in rotation so that they can add it to the heap in stages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/align]

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,052
      I went to pull up some of my comfrey yesterday, I forgot to wear gloves and now regret it as the stems are packed with tiny bristles which get under the skin - ouch!

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        :gnthb: What a brilliant thread Shiney..!! I am a Comfrey grower & user amazing plant... Rosemoor.. What a super thread shiney.. Good to see all their input, I have never thought of posting it here.. :dh:
        Rosemoor is a favourite place of mine as it is only a couple of hrs away from me & the roses are usually gorgeous, never mind the rest of the fabulous place....!!
        I think I need to make this a sticky thread for all to see shiney... Thanks so much..!!! :yho:

• Like Like x 1
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,698
          Excellent addition to this part of the site Shiney...and thanks to John also for the comfrey warning too...it was something I did not know and I will be moving my new comfrey plants to the alllotment next spring.

Steve...:)

• Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
          +41
          Thanks for that Shiney. Very useful. Comfrey sounds like Borage, with those nasty little spikes!

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,669
          Just thought I'd add a bit of common knowledge for the new comers to composting... Don't forget to pee on the compost heap as it helps the decomposition process!

• Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
          +884
          Well, that's a job for hub then! :heehee:

I started two compost bins yesterday, but placed them onto a slabbed area, which is sited next to where my greenhouse will be.
          Is it absolutely vital that they ought to be on soil/hardened grass area? Or am I ok at leaving them where they are? One has a base with air holes in it, but the other is sat onto the slabs. Both have a mixture of brown and green, and I've mixed them up so it's not too layered. I did put more chopped brown matter on the base of the one on the slabs, to allow air to circulate, but; would it be more beneficial to put them both onto the grass/dirt to allow for mother nature to work that bit quicker? :scratch:

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,330
          I think it's better on soil but the difference is probably not worth the hassle of moving it unless it is very easy to do so - and you have a suitable site. It's not worth losing out on useable soil area if you have limited space. :dbgrtmb:

• Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
          +884
          Ah thanks Shiney, I do appreciate your thoughts on this. It's no trouble to move them, and I do have another suitable plot for them to go on. So, that's the weekend job sorted. :thumb:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          I was given a large plastic compost bin yesterday and will start making some compost here at home ... I will attemp the 50/50 ratio (50% greens and 50% cardboard/paper)

a quick question ... is it advisable to add potato peels and onion skins to a compost bin? ... (these are the 2 most common veg we use at home)

I know that if you are using a wormery, onion and citrus is a no-no, and I have read conflicting reports about using potato skins

another one ... has anyone tried adding a can of flat coca cola to their compost bins on a regular basis? .... I have read that this speeds up the composting process

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Some people don't put potato peelings in because sometimes they sprout. If your heap is hot enough they won't, and maybe you wouldn't care if they do - which is the approach I take on mine, chuck everything in (but I put roots of pernicious weeds in a bucket of water for 2 weeks to drown / rot them, and then chuck the lot on the compost pile. I don't think you have to worry about acidity etc. like you do with a wormery - these are bacteria and fungi doing the work, not worms (they will come in when the temperature of the heap reduces later in the composting cycle)

I wouldn't bother, but if its no hassle it won't do any harm. Better, IMHO, would be a source of Nitrogen. In Summer I pee on mine every evening when I close the greenhouse. That definitely gets the heap going and raises the temperature.

If you have time & energy enough to turn it that will make a big difference too. I don't bother, I just leave it at least a year, because I have other things to do. After the initial delay of "no compost for a year" my system provides me with just as much, just that each batch takes a year instead of a couple of months. (There are some compost-aerating "prongs" you can get which you just jam into the top and as you pull them out some hinged-prongs extend and "pull" the heap with the rod which stirs it up without having to actually empty the whole bin and put it back / into another bin.)

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            thanks Kristen .... at one of my clients, the compost bin contents are nearly 2 years old, and only now does the compost look ok on the bottom of the bin .... it is in a shady spot though and has never been turned

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,330
            I, also, just leave my compost and it is pretty good by the end of a year (but the top layer doesn't rot down and just gets tipped into another heap when I dig it out). I've now got a three year cycle (three heaps) so each heap gets two full years to rot down and the bottom half comes out like peat blocks.

All veggie and fruit waste gets added and I also pee on the heap when I'm working in the garden. This has three beneficial effects. It improves the compost, it saves me having to waste time going indoors (boots off, boots on etc) and it makes me more comfortable :heehee:

The use of bins for compost will also not get the top layer rotted down unless enough water (or other liquid :)) gets to it, or unless it's turned.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              As Shiney says the top won't compost well, and like Shiney I just remove that and chuck it in the the bottom of the next heap.

In "just a heap" in the shade you have a couple of problems. No vertical sides, so a lot of surface area over the mound that doesn't retain heat well. If in shade its probably under trees, so may be lacking moisture too.

I think that "formula" can be improved by having a container (i.e.vertical sides); I think a black Dalek helps because it attracts sun heat in Summer, and helps retain heat. I also think the pee-on-it approach helps a lot (and saves water flushing the loo). If you can turn it that will help too, but all you are doing is speeding up the process, and once you reach equilibrium it makes no difference - so if you start turning now you will always have to turn, or suffer a 12 month delay when you stop turning (e.g. when you get old!) so you might want to not start turning it, eh?!

I put my rough compost (i.e. not fully composted) into the greenhouse borders in Autumn, mixed about 50:50 with manure (some soil goes in too - the stuff I have dug out to make planting holes), and that is the "soil" for the Tomatoes etc. the following year. By the end of the year it comes out a nice fine material (and, mixed with some grit) that becomes my Tree & Shrub planting "soil".

• Informative Informative x 1
              • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,593
                Thanks Kristen ... I will follow your advice aswell ... The bin I have is a large green dalek type with a lid (I think it's 8 cubic feet) .... There is no flap on the bottom though, but I'm not too concerned with that

I may also look at getting a wormery soon