1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Insulation?!?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Andrew Kennedy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Andrew Kennedy

Andrew Kennedy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have insulated my greenhouse with agricultural bubble wrap. I am loathed to take it off. Would it be okay to leave it on throughout the year?!

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,321
    Hi
    Personaly I would remove , as slowly it will turn green with algae/humidity and cause problems with fungus etc also the summer sun will have a detrimental efect on the plastic ..... stops a lot of light .... I know its time consuming to put up and take down ... but it has served its purpose over the winter

Spruce

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Ordinary bubble wrap (for packaging) can stick to glass panes in summer, causing damage when it next gets removed. Don't know if 'agricultural' stuff prevents that.

4. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,611
    I would remove it. It will break down in fewer years than if you didn't put it through hot summers.

I had some years ago and I was told it has a special coating to help it last a little longer than regular packaging bubble wrap. I liked the fact that it was also flat on both sides. Easy to roll back up. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      My GH is Cedarwood boarded from base to bench height then glass. I replaced the roof glass a long time ago with twin walled polycarbonate. I use small bubble wrap that is 24inches wide.

As the framework is wood and not metal it is so easy to staple the sheeting to the frame, this leaving at least a one inch gap between plastic and glass/polycarbonate sothere is very little chance of the plasic sticking. Ok in time the plastic becomes dirty or damaged so about every five/six years I replace it. It remains in situ all the year round with no obvious to plants etc. I have fitted automatic roof vents. No heating. Even when the garden has been under snow, the internal temperature has remained enough for me to work. I buy the bubble plastic by the roll from a firm specializing in packaging.