1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting sound

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Fran, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    For the last few days I've been hearing this odd bird noise - a kindo of staccato tsts. No melody just this weird sound. I heard it first on Monday just before a couple of black birds sounded the alarm, and then went absolutely mad dive bombing something out of my sight. Turned out to be a sparrow hawk which had caught ? a fledgling, as after a few seconds of this shrieking the hawk took off wih something in its talons.

Kept hearing the sound over the next few days - but couldn't see what the bird was. Clearly an alarm sound, and as there was a near by piping I assumed there a parent with young around - but couldn't see it in the trees. Today I finally saw what it was - a robin. Never heard them making that sound before - anyone else heard them?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) I don't think I have Fran, but the birds do seems to do all sorts of things to protect their young, I have noticed that. It seems they become almost fearless in the protection of their young.!;):thumb: Blackbirds are very good at setting the alarm to alert others I agree.!:)

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I agree with Marley Fran,some strange 'sounds' at this time of the year. But for me the wonderful songs of a Song Thrush sitting high on a telegraph pole is the pain I have to bare:thumb:

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    That kind of pain is wonderful to have pal :).

I'm getting to recognise quite a bit of birdsong - besides the wren, robin and thrush - the one I like is the burbling of gold finches - they have quite a nice song tooo.

What would we do without birdsong in our gardens. :thumb:

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :rolleyes::D Oh dear Pal you poor hard done by thing you are...!!!!:D:D I honestly think this has been one of the best years for a long time in my garden for birds & birds song.. Plus of course I have/ had nesting birds too..!!!:thumb:

:thumb: It is a pleasure to watch & listen too them as they investigate my garden...:)