1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Invasive Bamboo

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Depher1969, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Depher1969

Depher1969 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I am new here, sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong area!

I’m not much of a gardener, and know little about it. I bought my first house and there is a serious bamboo issue between myself and the neighbouring property.

I had a few stems of bamboo my side, on the boundary line there was a big row between our houses. It was not clumped, and has spread.

My side the roots only lifted a paving slab or two, fortunately the paving was solid and they couldn’t get through. My neighbour on the other hand, it’s in her drains, near her house, in between patio slabs. I have an extension done recently and the builders had to remove a massive root between us that may have set off or dispersed some further rhizomes maybe. Mine has been ripped out but because there’s is not dealt with, it’s growing into mine all over again. It has also caused a lot more to shoot up in hers as maybe it was disturbed.

They’ve said the bamboo is coming from my house, but I can’t see how that has been determined given we both bought at the same time and it’s been an issue ongoing between both. Is there a way to see where bamboo was planted originally/ coming from? I’m so worried that it is just everywhere.

thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,292
      Hello and welcome to GC :)
      What a shame that it's causing aggro between you. You're going to have to settle differences and work together to get rid of it! It might help to know that even the so-called 'clumping' bamboos go crazy when they find a source of water, so it's no wonder that it's heading for the drains. Could you perhaps involve your insurance Companies' help in getting it professionally removed? Instead of disputing whose it was originally, far better to gang up on the plant and eliminate the problem once and for all.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,492
        Hello and welcome to GC forums.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,046
        Welcome to the forum Depher1969.

That does sound very serious. I don't think there is a way to prove where it was planted originally. As it's in both gardens and you both want to get rid of it you do need to join forces as noisette recommends.

• Depher1969

Depher1969 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks all! I agree, though the neighbour doesn’t seem to. Hopefully we will find a way forward somehow

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,046
          If you can't cooperate then I suppose you could dig it all out your side and put in a barrier to stop it returning.