Iris Questio

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by alana, Oct 9, 2020.

1. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    I've been digging up a mixed bed which has got a bit overgrown and the irises in there have been overshadowed by other plants. I've dug them out and want to know if the well rooted rhizomes will grow without any leaves on them? Not sure if they will grow:sad:I may copy Armandii and put them in pots so they don't have competition.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Hi @alana I can't answer wether they will or won't grow with confidence but if it were me I'd do as you said and plant them up in pots and see if they grow.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,967
      If the rhizomes have good roots and no signs of rot, they ought to grow. Look carefully at the tops of the rhizomes, it is usually possible to see the new growth points on them.
      They are often sold as leafless rhizomes without even the benefit of roots and they usually grow.
      In the ground or in pots either way is good.
      If you could post a picture of the top of the rhizome we could possibly point out the growth points.

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,618
      Thanks for your replies.:smile: I've planted up all the rhizomes with leaves and the rhizomes without leaves are healthy looking with no rot so I'll do as you recommend and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Hi alana, unfortunately, usually only those rhizomes with leaf will grow.:dunno::doh: