Is £65 a good price to pay for a beginners Bee Keeping course?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Samuel_1988, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Afternoon all,

I received an email from my tutor for my RHS Level 2 course & she received the following email re. beginners bee keeping course:

'This is the info for our beginners course

The course will start on Tuesday 18 of March and will run for 4 weeks on consecutive Tuesday's.

It will be held at the Corbell Centrre, Glovers Grove, Ruislip, HA4 7BY.

The evenings will start at 7pm and run for approx 2 Hrs each night.

This is the theory part of the course and the practical will be held at our apiaries on Thursday evenings and on Sunday mornings between 11am and 1pm.
    We will give more information when you attend.

The cost of the course is £65 which is payable on the first night.
    This fee also includes one years associate membership giving access to all the club activities.'

I was just wondering if this is the amount one would expect to pay to learn about bee keeping? If it is I think I will go for it!

Many thanks,

Samuel

2. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Cheapest thing to do is befriend your local bee keeper and then get them to teach you.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    That's 8hrs (4 x 2hrs) in the evenings plus another 8hrs (4 x 2hrs) on Sundays all for £65, so only £4.06/hr.

I've attended several courses here (not bee keeping, run by the likes of Alan Beat who writes in 'Country Smallholding', formerly Practical Self Sufficiency ) where they have a full weekends course for £165 http://www.yarnertrust.org/Courses/...g_for_Novices_and_Beginners__6th8th_June.aspx

Assuming that's 1hr on Friday and 5hrs 30mins Sat & Sun (assuming 1 hr lunch) that's 12 hours for £165, £13.75/hr. Then there's travel & accommodation. But it's a great place to take the family for a weekend and there's a fantastic local pub where people I know down that way drink http://www.theoldsmithyinn.co.uk/

So that twice a week for four weeks course in Ruislip is good value, but personally I'd go for a wild weekend in North Devon.