1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it too late in the year to start planting?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HBK, Sep 9, 2010.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    With my garden all but tidied up and ready for some life I have picked two plants for such a job, flax and mulberry.
    Now my questions is whether it is too late in the year to even bother planting such plants? Flax has already been sown in places and is growing well, but I have no idea if the cold will just kill them at such a young age or they'll resist and live on.
    Any help would be great, thanks.

(I'm sure you'll need to know: I'm from Yorkshire in England)

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HBK,

Flax is an annual so probably wouldn't do much this time of year. With the mulberry, is it in a pot or bare rooted ?

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Isn't it a bit early still for planting bare rooted plants?

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SG, yep, thats why i'm hoping its in a pot. I'd wait till its dormant before planting it out, bit like I do with the Mrs.

5. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    It hasn't been planted yet; I am just wondering what the results will be like or when I try. I will start with them in the pots then plant them once they've grown, is that a problem?

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, you mean from seed. I'd wait till spring then. Sorry, I thought you'd bought a plant from a nursery.:doh:

7. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Oh, sorry, I really should have specified, my fault. Thanks for the advice. :thumb:

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, just got a bit confused there. :dh:

The unripe fruit & green bits of the mulberry contain a sap that is hallucinogenic, so watch out for pixies.:usr: