1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my Kimko Clematis dying?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Joksi, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Joksi

Joksi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?
    My Kimko Clematis evergreen leaves have turned brown and crispy, part of the stem is white in colour. Any advise grateful received
    upload_2021-7-9_14-15-57.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    Hello Joksi, welcome to GC. If the stems look 'nibbled' then slugs or snails are the culprits and that would explain why the leaves have died off. Apart from them, only dehydration is likely to have caused brown foliage. I'd cut the plant back to just above a point where leaf stems sprout and the stems are undamaged. Water slowly and thoroughly, sprinkle a bit of balanced fertiliser (clematis love Blood, fish and bone) and give the roots a thick mulch. They prefer to be kept cool and just moist. Make sure the mulch doesn't touch the stems, though. If you don't mind using slug pellets, you could sprinkle a few around, or have a hunt around in the evening to see if you can catch a mollusc in the act! If not, might be worth giving the stems a 'fence' of fine mesh netting to physically protect the new growth.

3. Joksi

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply.
    It’s not the bottom part of the plant dying but from the top, so assume it not slug related.
    With all the rain we have had over recent weeks I don’t feel the plant is dehydrated, but also not water logged as this area is free draining.
    I had a beautiful bloom of flowers early spring and then all the flowers fell off and the leaves started to die.
    In early spring I also feed my clematis with fish, blood and bone meal.
    Slightly frustrated as it was growing so well.

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
  5. Joksi

Ratings:
    +0
    3BF8C026-3D5C-45F9-A395-5952FB3B6D98.jpeg Seem more like the outer skin

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021