Is my passion flower dead?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TurnedThespian, May 8, 2014.

1. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    I bought a passion flower last year, towards the end of the summer. It was very late to get going, and if memory serves, it flowered in December!
    However, it now looks completely dead. It seemed to be doing quite well, we had a mild winter, and it's in a south facing spot, getting plenty of sunshine. But no signs of life so far.
    Is there any way of knowing if it's dead? Or just very late? If it is dead, what might have killed it? Everything else in the garden is thriving...

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought Sis's one had bought it after the snow a few years back, but it came back :)

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Give it a chance - it hasn't been that warm so far. At least give it another month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Which variety of passionflower is it, do you know?
      Are you making sure it is being adequately watered?
      Is the compost in the pot in need of "feeding"? (could all of its nutrients have been drawn up last Autumn?). Maybe give it a feed with some diluted liquid feed.

My most established one is yomping away (but, it's the common variety and has been established for almost 4 years).
      My other, slightly less hardy one, I bought a year ago and it took a while to show any interest in the world. This year, it has just about decided to show a leaf (I think it must be on the shy side :heehee: ).

Keep watching ... but don't stare at it! :old:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
        Ratings:
        +510
        I don't know which variety, I think it was 'the common one' (sorry, not good with names). It wasn't expensive - part of a two for £X deal (I can't exactly recall). It was very late last year, it was budding throughout late Autumn, and finally got around to flowering in December before everything dropped off it.
        It's not a huge loss if it's dead, I just wanted to give it chance before I assumed it was a gonner. I'll leave it another month or so, and give it some nutrients, though I'd be surprised if it has used up all the goodness in the soil as it's quite a big pot. It's definitely never dried out. Time will tell, I suppose.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,318
        It may regrow from the roots so as the other have said , leave it be for now , keeping it slightly dry over the winter really does help them survive when grown in a pot and multipurpose does hold on to the water which doesnt help (another plant I would grow in John inns no 3 soil based compost with added grit) and some form of protection to keep the frost from freezing up the roots , if mine and in a pot either keep close to the house wall over winter or best kept in a cold greenhouse and then re brought out when all fear of frost are over

Depending on the variety some are tougher from others , so has the other shown any sigh of growth as easy to take from cuttings.

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 1
        • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
          Ratings:
          +510
          Ah, the offer was a 'two climbing plants' offer, so I didn't buy two passion flowers. The other was a honeysuckle, and is merrily scrambling up a trellis at the end of the garden, so I can't compare. I'll probably just leave it, and cross my fingers. :-)

• Informative Informative x 1