Is my sprouting broccoli beyond saving?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

It's my first year of gardening after a long hiatus, and I'm learning a lot (loads of which is thanks to you guys).

One of the things I've learnt is that standard garden netting is not sufficient to keep butterflies away from brassicas! I now have some scaffold debris netting and will swap the existing stuff for this. What I wondered though is whether the sprouting broccoli in the photos is too badly damaged? Or can it be saved if I put the new netting on this weekend (and pick off any caterpillars that are on there now?)

As ever - huge thanks :)

Max

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Worth a go. I overwinter mine so I can get a crop in the spring before the butterflies are about.

3. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    OK, I'll give it my best shot. I'll get the caterpillars off and put the new netting on today.

Thanks for the reply.

(PS - I might be back later with some more general sprouting broccoli questions).

4. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

Back again with those questions... :)

I've read that you need to cut off the florets if they are flowering. The only florets I have had so far are weedy, small and on very long stringy side stems, and they have almost instantly flowered. So...

1. If I do need to cut off the flowering florets, at what distance from the stem should I do it? Does it work like cut and come again, or once I have cut is that it?

2. What can I do to help my broccoli have more substantial florets?

Any other general tips would also be most helpful.

Many thanks

Max

5. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,190
    Hi Max I have the same problem regarding some flowering, too dry perhaps, oh I don't know:cry3: