1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my Staghorn Sumac Diseased?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Nicolamary, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nicolamary

Nicolamary Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. This lovely tree has been in my garden since I moved in some 15 years ago. The leaves and fruit seem fine but the trunk does not. Added to this I've noticed the tree is leaning. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it please? Thanks so much. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Looks Ok to me - my experience with Sumac suggests that they dont last for ever, they grow too big & then the limbs split & the main truck dies, leaving space for the many many suckers to take over - heres a picture of the trunk of the big one out the front of my house when it let go:
    [​IMG]
    --
    That was about 3-4m tall, you can see that the trunk has the same sort of discolouration around the limb before it split. Its taken a couple of years for the replacement suckers to grow up to flowering hight.

I wouldnt worry about it too much but I would pick one of the suckers thats hopefully growing in a suitable place & let it grow on so you have a replacement ready.

3. Nicolamary

Ratings:
    +3
    image.jpeg It is big. So as a total Non gardener do I just chop the main trunks down.

4. Nicolamary

Ratings:
    +3
    It's leaning badly and seems unstable.