1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is SlugStop Ok to put round edible Veg?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Letty, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Letty

Letty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have some lettuce leaves in a trough and have circled them with organic slug barrier SlugStop.

Does anyone know if it is safe to eat the leaves if the granules have been watered and entered the soil.

I had a sudden worry that there may be some chemical in the granules and I would poison the family?

2. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    I'm not sure about that exact brand, but today I bought B&Q's own brand of slug pellets, on the instructions it says they are perfectly fine to use on flowers, lawn, and veggies.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Letty, it's all up to you.
    EVERYTHING you buy in the shops has been treated with chemicals. It may not be our preferred method but I haven't heard of people dropping dead in the street from eating poisoned lettuce.
    I'm sure your slug pellets will be perfectly safe.
    If you are ultra fussy like me, then put the pellets on a little plastic tray like me, and tuck them under the lettuce leaves - or whatever you are going to eat - and that will stop the pellets leaching into the ground.
    But as I said before, even if they do, you won't die of poisoning - or the supermarkets would be out of business.

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Read the label. Sorry, but it will give a warning if unsafe.

Stick to the recommended application rate.

Make sure you wash the leaves before eating though in any case.