1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to get my Deutzia to flower more and for a longer period?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nikolaos, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Hi Guys,

The Deutzia in my front garden is lovely when it flowers (and the bees seem to agree) but blink and you'll miss it flowering! :o( I think it may be a Deutzia scabra due to flower form and habit. Any suggestions for getting it flower longer (and perhaps be more floriferous?).

Thanks,

Nick

DSCN0591.JPG DSCN0593.JPG DSCN0592.JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes Nikolaos :)
    It’s all to do with the pruning I think.
    It’s a shame cos I have just pruned mine back...over the weekend in fact...and you could have seen it how it was. (I think I posted a picture of it on the forum) It was smothered to every tip with flowers. A neighbour of mine, stubborn in her habits, insists in cutting hers like a hedge resulting in very few flowers.
    I remove all flowered stems back to where new shoots are forming. I also remove old stems right to the ground....you can trace these stems by the lighter coloured, more gnarled wood. This treatment control the size of the plant and induces more prolific flowering.
    Flowers form on the wood made now so pruning immediately after flowering is important to get those long wands of flowers next year. It may take a couple of years to get your deutzia into flowering mode again but persevere. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,289
      Thanks @Verdun! I strongly suspected it had something to do with pruning because I tend to just trim the tops off it. Doing a much milder version of what your stubborn neighbour does, by the sound of it. :smile:

I'd briefly thought about removing older stems but have got a bit attached to that peeling bark. But hey, if getting rid of a few gives me better flowers, off they go! LOL Can't wait to see how it does in the next couple of years now I know how to prune it properly!

Just to be clear, when you say you remove all flowered stems, you mean immediately after flowering, correct?

Nick

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      That “peeling bark” is not really productive though. Deutzias are beautiful flowering shrubs :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,289
        Haha, I quite like the look of it, though @Verdun. Never mind, I'll take a close-up photo before I attack it. For the memories... XD

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Yes Nikalaos, remove after flowering :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1