1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an affordable medium for growing salad leaves, orientals etc?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ChilliPepper, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I want to grow more salad leaves, orientals, Pak Choy, lettuce type crops in the greenhouse. Is there an affordable commercial growing medium such as Coir or maybe one of the budget multi-purpose composts (Wickes, B&Q or Lidl?) that will give me decent germination and growth rates without breaking the bank?

2. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    Any multi purpose will do the job.
    I've used wickes and b&q in the past, however, i wasn't impressed with wickes last year.
    I use whatever multibuy is cheapest, usually from one of the local garden centres.

• Like Like x 2
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,610
      I've decided to delve into hydroponics and think lettuce and other greens would be a great launching point. Water as a medium would be so affordable. Just add nutrients and away you go!

• Like Like x 3
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,610
        Forgot to mention that any soil based medium is cheap in the long run if you sterilize it, amend and reuse it over and over. I use potting soil for all of my hot peppers and hanging pots. And late October I am roasting the medium over a wood fire for next year's use.

When you think about it, no farmer grows a crop , then removes the soil down to 12 inches or so for the entire field and buys new.

So why is reusing your medium in pots etc, any different?

Get it, use it, and reuse it :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
          Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,079
          Just grow your salad crops in the soil in the greenhouse. I do that, I start by sowing in 3" pots using seed compost indoors then transplant to the greenhouse border. I have Rocket, Winter Lettuce and Spinach in there right now, these all grow ok without any heat.

• Like Like x 2
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            At one time some soil or as some call it, dirt, would be taken from the garden, sieved and put on pots or trays for seed sowing. or. An area in the garden or plot would be selected, dug over raked and firmed having removed large stones etc. Now things are different.
            Thankfully for gardening forums such as this. Members can and do exchange their views and experiences of using loads of different bags of compost. Just because a marketed product carries a famous name. Don't be fooled.
            Some gardeners have found that a compost they bought was little more than factory floor sweepings. Some composts stick closer to the JI compost formula. If you have found a particular good one, then stick to it. For seed sowing, please don't go all technical and start delving into pH values and all that. Seed sowing in general simply requires the seed to be in an enviroment that will allow germination. So an area that is reasonably stable, has a moisture retentive ability. I recall my childhood days.. The local hardware shop. The owner wore bulls eye lens specs and often wore his specs on his forehead. He was a mean old sod and often cheated the customer. One day he cheated me and my cousin. So leaving the dhop, we nicked a packet of carrot seed. Arriving home.....now what? So the packets were dropped down the area, as the house had a basement. In time.....such a miracle. Look dad, carrots are growing outside.

Bacl to composts. I go through my GH and chuck the deaduns out. Let the weather get to the compost and in time reuse.

• Like Like x 1
            • Creative Creative x 1
            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,610
              We do call it dirt over here. I try to translate when posting and refer to it as soil whilst posting here.

But, poppycock. Garden dirt is nothing like potting soil or compost. It works as well but dirt is heavy and not suitable for container growing. It is unforgiving to delicate plants. Been there and whilst successful with the growing during my first year or two, found it unwieldy.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,079
                Very true Mike

OK so I don't always use seed compost. I also sometime germinate seeds just on damp kitchen roll, sealed in a plastic sandwich bag. Provided they are kept at the correct temp and some also need light (read the seed packet) it is a really good way to get precious seedlings started. Also you can easily see what is going on instead of burying in seed compost. I wouldn't use this method for run of the mill veggies as it is quite fiddly/time consuming transferring the tiny seedlings to growing medium (in 3" pots) once they have sprouted - they are very delicate.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,203
                  Hi,

As already mentioned, rebranded compost from the popular outlets can vary in quality year on year.

Brands like Levingtons Original and Westlands Jacks Magic may cost a pound or so a bag extra but well worth it imho.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,203
                  Hi,

Often thought about it for the toms etc, but when looking it always seemed a bit over the top for a few plants.
                  Also, a fair bit of web comment from folk using hydro that the produce is rather bland tasting, where we generally grow to improve the taste.

Just been looking at doing a simple diy version of these AutoPots watering which seem based on the simple ebb and flow system.
                  Home | AutoPot Watering Systems UK

Think you need to start a new thread to show your hydro journey... be interesting to follow.

• Informative Informative x 2
                    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
                  • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,610
                    oops, sorry @ricky101 I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Just thought water counted as another cheap medium for growing. I'll bow out :)

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +3,499
                    I use seed sowing compost, whether a branded name or some I've created myself, seed seems to germinate better in a LOW nutrient medium, once established, seedlings can (not always) be transplanted, parsnips and carrots etc are an exception (deep rooted veg).

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,203
                      Hi @CanadianLori,

Sorry , really was not my intention to appear to push you out at all. :redface::frown::oopss:

Just that your venture into hydroponics sounded like it could be a very interesting, informative and lengthy subject deserved of its own thread / title as it could easily be lost to others under this threads title.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,092
                        I agree @ricky101 , come on @CanadianLori start a thread and walk us through it. I'd love to learn more :blue thumb:
                        It's a really interesting topic, one I know zero about but would love to learn :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,610
                          I'm just at the dreaming/planning stage but I will share what I learn

Part of my reasin for thinking in,this manner is that soil is messy indoors and I presently have a couple hundred seedlings going in soil blocks or mini pots... imagine the sweeping I have to do to keep tidy, just to have a chance at growing in our short season.

Or I may decide that growing romaine lettuce and things just shouldn't take up outdoor real estate and, well, I'll see.

Ive just decided to play :)

Well, heck, I've got to do something in between shivering and shoveling :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • Like Like x 1