1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anybody out there? Help..

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Tinker86, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    11E0955C-32F7-4C96-A0EA-9DEE87C68F5D.png

A friend gave me this plant the other day after hearing I was putting together a pond on my allotment plot. I’m not convinced it will survive in the moist margins so I won’t be planting it until I have more of an idea.

If anyone can help ID it, I’d be ever so grateful.

Thanks

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    It looks like a bamboo of some sort :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +151
      The picture isn’t the most helpful really for detail, but I think you’re on the money. I thought similar myself going from the stems.

A quick google search and so far, the nearest to what I think it is, is an Umbrella Bamboo.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Bamboos don`t like to get their feet too wet, actually over watering them can make the leaves turn yellow.

• Like Like x 1
      • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
        +151
        After reading that they do like moisture and shelter from the wind, I think with a little work on the chosen ground near to my pond, working on the drainage side of things, I think it may well work. I really do hope so because it wouldn’t really work anywhere else on my plot, other than left in a tall pot inside my shed.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Looks a little like cyperus alternifolius......
        Another plant I used to grow in the pool.....on the shelf margins. However, it grows vigorously and big.
        It will make a large feature too in the garden.....I have grown it in both dry and wet spots as well as an indoor plant. Very adaptable.
        No longer grow it here as it became a tad invasive. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
          +151

I did pick up a few red flags myself on its nature to roam. But there is advice on ways to block its spread, which could be an option. I don’t mind container planting, but if I could, I much prefer to see a plant in the ground. Decisions to be made I think..

• Like Like x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Umbrella Bamboo is known as Fargesia murielae - I know this because I bought three a few months ago. They do like to be kept well watered in the first year, but, as far as I am aware, they are not bog plants because they enjoy free draining soil. If it is Fargesia murielae, it is a clump forming variety - this means it is not the invasive sort.
            The leaves in your picture do look rather golden for a Fargesia murielae at this time of year though. Mine are still very much a green colour (kept moist by all the rain we've had lately!) and I have kept mine in pots so far. They are supposed to be evergreen but my view of them is that they become a little ... "sparse" ... in their foliage at this time of year. They don't lose it, but it's not a full and flush as during the summer months :heehee:

It is a small specimen that you have pictured, so the first steps would be to pot it on. Do pot it into free draining compost and do keep it well watered during the first year (not water logged though). See where it is at after one year, then make a decision. If it is a Fargesia murielae it will survive in pots - just maybe not in a shed :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Tinker, it is not really invasive in the way many bamboos are but cyperus alternifolia.....common name for it here anyway is umbrella plant....does look good planted in the open ground. Quite an exotic look in fact. In some places it may not be hardy but down here it thrives :)
              It is a rapid grower and will make 6 or 7'......200 or so cm by mid summer.
              Post a picture then if you can:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                +151
                By my friends own admission, up until dropping it off to me, it has been in that same pot for 12 months, and more importantly for me sussing out its hardiness, has been kept outside taking whatever the elements have fired its way.

You’re right the leaves are yellow but I just made the assumption that was due to the time of year, and imagined that once the weather picks up, so will the plant and the colour of the leaves.

I think I’m going to follow your lead, pot it on into a nice large pot and keep tabs. The main aim is to get it looking green and healthy, but to do so, my best bet is homework and working out what species it is. Then work from there.

Cheers “M”, a great help!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +151
                  Thanks Verdun..! I really want to get it into the ground and make the most of its capabilities, but I think “M” has made a valid point of potting it on and seeing where that leads. I shall definitely update.!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Thanks Tinker.
                    If it is cyperus A. It is likely to flower in mid to late summer. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      Totally agree; most wise! :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1