1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a cutworm

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 12, 2021.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    665D992B-1A69-439D-A92D-09638C2F628D.jpeg went back today to try to find some of these critters. The other day there were loads but only found a couple today . Maybe the rain has put them off. As mentioned in my earlier thread my plot has been vacant for years with couch grass the only thing growing.

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,354
      They look like moth larvae, so yes. Not 'C' shaped enough to be chafer grubs.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
      • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,685
        I think cutworm. Legs not long enough for chafer and hairy back indicates not leatherjacket

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
          +12
          They could be either. Sorry I have a follow on question. Whatever the critters are there were loads where I was digging at least 20 or 30. At the time I left them as I didn’t know what they were but now I think I don’t want them there I dug the patch over again and only found a couple which I relocated. So where did they all go. Have they gone down much deeper ready to come back when I plant my veg and munch away at the roots. I can’t believe that they all wriggled away in a day. As they were burrowing I doubt if they all got eaten by birds. So will they still be there and should I water with that nematode solution before I plant ?

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,354
          It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does for slugs and snails, bringing them to the surface, but worth a try? IME, nematode success is so dependent on temperature and humidity that it fails more often than it works.