1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an opuntia? Can I revive it?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Clare G, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Hi everybody

A couple of weeks ago I rescued some flower pots that one of my neighbours had put out for rehoming, together with this little cactus:
    P6220955.JPG

It's about six inches tall and was in a very sorry state at that point, still in its original pot but very dried out, and with its leaves dusty and shrivelled. I thought I'd have a go at reviving it, so repotted it in its original pot but with some extra compost and grit, gave it a good drink, and cut any dead bits off. Two queries:

Am I right in thinking it's an opuntia? Any idea which? The pot still has its sales label but unfortunately that just says 'cactus'!

The leaves are looking a lot better but as you can see the tops of some of them are still bent over and a bit shrivelled. Any chance of those reviving, by now? I've been watering it weekly - perhaps I can do that more frequently for now?

I'm loath to cut the shrivelled leaves as lower down they have little growths which I guess want to become flowers or new leaves :).

All help and advice will be most gratefully received! :dbgrtmb:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,665
    It does look like Opuntia, some weird deformed variety I would guess.
    I think you are doing all the right things.
    Most Opuntia can take a lot of sunshine, especially if you want flowers.
    I have one plant I grew from seed and it's never flowered in over 30 yrs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,635
      Hi,
      I think it's Opuntia Tuna and looks perfectly fine :)

I have one and the stems indeed are somewhat bent and wonky when young. Mine even gets stretch marks during rapid growth period.

It's a great houseplant. When it's in growth it seems to like fairly frequent watering, probably the thin stems don't hold much water. In winter mine stays totally dry for 3 months and does look a bit sad, but when spring comes it bursts into growth. Mine hasn't flowered.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,731
        Brilliant, yes that looks exactly like it, I'm sure you're right @Selleri!
        Excellent news that you think it makes a good houseplant, too :yay:

I see from that description that it's a type of 'prickly pear' - can remember seeing big plants, even sometimes hedges of those, growing out of doors in the South of France. You could buy the fruits in the market, too. Those needed *very* careful preparation but were actually quite tasty.

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,731
        Here's another photo taken today, to show how much happier it is looking after some extra watering - amazing how quickly the leaves have straightened up and got greener and plumper and shinier. Many thanks to @Selleri and @pete for your good advice!

P6250957.JPG

• Like Like x 2