1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Japanese Knotweed?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Pam barker, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Pam barker

Pam barker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I would really appreciate your help...My cousin has just bought a house and found this creeping along her floorboards when she lifted the laminate flooring. It's coming in from under the bay window but the flower bed outside the bay window has been filled in with concrete in the last 18months (neighbour told her).
    We're really worried but think if it is JK we have some legal redress as the seller didn't declare it when selling.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    thanks, Pam.

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,560
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Pam. :) First appearance suggests it's not Japanese Knotweed. Knotweed tends to have a slight zigzag in the stems. See the picture below. However, if it's not Knotweed then it is obviously something invasive. Are there any leaves attached to help identify it?
    022 Japanese Knotweed.JPG

The fact that the bed has been concreted in and it's appeared inside in the same area would suggest it is Knotweed but I can't be certain from the picture above. You need a positive identification and yes, it is illegal to sell a property without declaring it.

Do not cut the plant back, the more it's pruned the more it grows. It needs to be dealt with by a professional who will use a strong weed killer on it.

3. Pam barker

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for your replies. We've just found this coming out of the concrete and my gut feeling is that it's not knotweed? IMG_0390.jpg

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Its not Knot weed, looks a bit like a fuschia from the pic.
    But I doubt its anything to worry about.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Knotweed would have the appearance of dead hollow stems at this time of the year.
    it is herbaceous, and dies back to the ground each winter.

6. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Looks very like JK to me but hopefully I'm wrong. Often the stems have a reddish hue and are hollow. Does this fit what you have? It should be dying down/have died down by now but as it's been so mild and sheltered under the flooring maybe not. New shoots in the Spring are pinky/red. I'd try and find out from maybe neighbours if they have got it/had it being tactful! and ask if there might be a knowledgeable plants person in your area who could make a certain diagnosis. It's not the end of the world with strong enough weedkiller applied at the right time and reapplied if necessary the damned plant can be killed off but you have to keep at it to succeed.

7. Pam barker

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks everyone. Much appreciated. We had an expert from Ness Gardens look at it and they say categorically it's a fuchsia. Considering your posts too, we're happy. Phew.

Thanks again,
    Pam.

• Like Like x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      That's good news and now see what you were worried about, the photo I looked at was put up by Sheal and I mistook it for what you were talking about:rolleyespink:. No worries at all with what you've found. Glad you're sorted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
        Ratings:
        +246
        I saw this post and then watched a youtube video about japanese knotweed last night. Then had an awful dream about finding it everywhere in my garden. I should not be on the internet late at night.

• Friendly Friendly x 1