Is this plant doing ok?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by hedgefog, Sep 8, 2014.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Hi

First of all, I do not know what this plant is. I saw it in the corner of the shade part of garden, but looked not too happy, so I planted it in the pot and garden compost. I watered it every 2 -3 days, and looked happy for a few days. But this morning, it looked as if it is wilting (the leaves are getting twisted). Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Thanks for your ideas and information on this.

Attached Files:

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Does that tub have drainage holes? If not, it may be waterlogged and it probably doesn't like that. If there are no holes, gently tip the tub onto its side to allow excess water to drain away. Best to repot in a different container really as otherwise it will be chronically overwatered.

If you don't think overwatering is likely to be the problem, keep it in a mild and somewhat shady spot to see if it recovers. It might be a struggle to overwinter it, though.

Looks like a spider plant to me, but I can't think why one would be growing in your garden. So could be another spiky thing such as a cordyline. I don't normally concern myself with spiky things but some people love them!

3. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, the pot has holes underneath, but I put some cut plant leaves before adding compost. Maybe it worsened the drainage, I meant to improve it. I will re-plant as your advice.

It has been in the garden for years. I think it was planted by previous owner of the house, but it never grew because it had been planted in the spot where it does not like, I think.

Thank you for your info :)

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,309
    I think it's a Spider plant too, it may not be thriving because it's generally an indoor plant.

5. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    Spider plants thrive on neglect. Watering once in 3 weeks may be enough once roots are established. We had them at school and some were left all through the summer holidays without any care at all. They were very popular hanging/trailing plants in the 70s.

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Every mantelpiece had one!

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      How big is the pot?
      Not sure that it's a spider plant.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      It looks like a Phormium to me:dunno: if it is it prefers a well drained soil in full sun and can cope with a little less water:thumbsup:

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      The pot is quite big maybe too big for the plant. But hopefully the plant will fill the pot by growing well soon. :)

The plant had been left unattended and uncared, having been planted in the shady muddy area of the garden for last 4 years through all the harsh winters. I am surprised it didn't die. It seems recovering slowly now.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,314
      I think it might be a yucca or as loli says a phormium, being small its difficult to tell.
      It has good variegation and worth looking after.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      I haven't repotted it yet, but it is actually growing putting a couple of more leaves, so I am just leaving it as is.