1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this pond big enough for about 20 goldfish and some frogs?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Voobwm, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Voobwm

Voobwm Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I’m “moving” a pond in the middle of the garden to the edge. The current one is quite big so I’m also making it smaller.

our current pond has about 20 goldfish and a couple of frogs. I’m hoping the frogs continue to use the new and lay frog spawn still.

my wife thinks the pond size is too small for wildlife. See attached image. Its 10ft long, 4ft wide and not quite 2ft deep at its deepest.

I don’t want a massive pond again. Is this one big enough?

F7415B59-50FF-49A8-A01C-59204DCB3664.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,719
    I'd say yes, mine is probably not much bigger and the goldfish have multiplied year after year.
    Hate to think how many fish are in mine, but is probably something like 40 of various sizes.
    Some tiny black ones from last year and the fish were spawning a couple of weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Voobwm

Voobwm Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      I was quite happy and satisfied today when I thought I’d finished it only be told make it bigger. Hell of a job not looking forward to doing any more. I might just extend the far end but keep it shallow, for plants so kind of extends it but not for fish.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Looks fine to us, plenty big enough, the wildlife will move across no problem, they can 'smell' the water; sure the other half is not after a swimming pool ? :biggrin:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,719
      Mine is only 20inches deep at the deepest point and the fish have overwintered without much trouble for the last30odd years.

• Agree Agree x 1