Is this Prunus worth rescuing, or should I discard and buy a good specimen?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by TheReluctantGardeners, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TheReluctantGardeners

TheReluctantGardeners Apprentice Gardener

Enemy of the State
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

As a novice gardener, I am not sure whether this post should be here or in the "Beginner" sub-forum.

Yesterday I planted a "Prunus Cheal's Weeping" obtained half-price from B&Q. However, it does not seem to be a particularly healthy specimen. My particular concern is the apparent lack of life in the main stem, and the fact that the only leafy part is a sideshoot growing out from stem (which appears to have been grafted onto a rootstock) - see photos.

My questions are as follows.

(i) Is it worth trying to "rescue" this tree in the hope that it can eventually grow into a healthy specimen, or should I discard it and plant a healthy specimen in its place?

(ii) If it is worth trying to rescue the tree, what do I need to do, and how long should I give the tree before giving up?

Garden conditions and planting

The tree has been planted approximately 1 yard / 1 metre from (and is currently completely shaded by) a 6-foot fence whose other side faces approximately SSE (the garden faces approximately WSW along its length). The idea is for the tree to grow to its natural height and spread of 2.5 m to provide shade for a garden bench. The soil is heavy clay; pH unknown but assumed alkaline.

I obeyed the planting instructions found on pp 64-66 of the Dorling Kindersley 2010 edition of the RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening as closely as I could. I dug a hole 4 x the diameter of the root ball (4 x 20 cm = 80 cm). However, due to the shallowness of the topsoil and constraints of time due to weather closing in and the difficulty in removing the heavy clay subsoil, the depth was more like 1.2 x the depth of the root ball compared with 1.5 x as in the instructions (1.2 x 28 cm = 34 cm compared with 1.5 x 28 = 42 cm). I mixed topsoil 50/50 by volume with B&Q peat-free compost and added 500 g of Miracle-Gro slow-release fertilizer (25 g per 10 litres of soil) and 140 g of B&Q bonemeal. I then partially filled the hole with this mixture until the top of the root ball was level with the surface of the ground, firming the soil with my feet. I also drove a stake (recycled fence 2" x 1") into the ground to support the tree just off centre. I then put the tree next to stake and back-filled the hole with the remaining topsoil/compost/fertilizer/bonemeal mixture, again firming it with my feet. Finally, I cut up a garden rubbish bag which I punctured every so often to act as a temporary weed-suppressing barrier until I can afford to buy chipped bark as mulch. I have watered the tree since at a rate of 10 litres/2 gallons per day.

Attached Files:

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Take it back and get a refund
    It is seldom worth the effort to try and 'nurse' a poor quality plant
    It will never reach the heights of a healthy plant properly planted :)

3. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Definatly not worth trying to rescue this tree, I would agree with whis4ey, get your money back if possible ....

Dave

4. TheReluctantGardeners

TheReluctantGardeners Apprentice Gardener

Enemy of the State
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your replies. I will see if I can get a refund (even for £7) and put it towards a decent specimen from a garden centre after payday!

At least I can console myself with the knowledge that the hard work is done.